Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Installing drip system for new backyard landscape

Old 05-16-19, 10:36 AM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi all - we are redoing our backyard by removing all the turf and going with a "desert" style landscape. There will be lots of succulents, native shrubs and a few citrus trees. Part of the plan is replacing the old sprinkler system with drip irrigation. I've read up on the basics of drip irrigation at this link.

However, I was planning on using manifolds like this one on Amazon so I could shut off an emitter or reduce flow to it as necessary in the various plant areas. The info on the irrigation website doesn't mention manifolds but it does mention NOT mixing emitter flow rates (which reducing flow with the manifold controls would do).

Does anyone have some experience using these types of manifolds with pressure compensating emitters? If so, any thoughts or cautions?

If it would help I can upload the landscape design for the yard. Thanks!

Old 05-16-19, 04:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
Try to put the design in a jpeg. You can post that here...... How-to-insert-pictures.

Old 05-16-19, 05:53 PM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I've attached the pdf version of the design. If that doesn't show up well, I can try getting a picture of the full size plan.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Revised Final design 4-9-19.pdf (176.8 KB, 109 views)
Old 05-18-19, 08:01 AM
Y
Received 24 Upvotes on 23 Posts
Looks like you are in good hands. I have used that type manifold before and it is handy.

My caution to you is.....not to overthink this layout. The beauty of drip irrigation is that it is easy to add and subtract areas via shut-offs, adjustable 1/4 inch valves, etc. Also easy to correct boo-boos.

My view of flow rates and emitters is that it is not critical. Lots of room to play around. Depending on what time of day or night your timer runs......water use in your home....your drip system will vary a bit.

Have fun, play around a bit. Buy sharp hand shears and lots of spare parts and see what develops.

Larry2c voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: