Damaged pressure vacuum breaker

Old 06-09-19, 04:34 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Damaged pressure vacuum breaker

The metal backflow preventer valve at my parents house has cracked on the face of it from freezing I'm guessing, my dad jb welded the crack that is about 2" long today and insists it should be fine. I've read elsewhere that running the sprinkler system with a damaged backflow preventer could cause contaminated water to work its way back into the drinking water which is obviously not good. Any thoughts on if this type of "fix" will be OK?

Thank you.

Old 06-10-19, 03:56 AM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
My state requires any home with municipal water and lawn irrigation to have the backflow preventer valve tested by a certified technician annually at a cost of $60. I am sure your father can find a certified technician to test the valve. The other alternative is to replace the valve. In my opinion, either option is a small price to pay compared to possible medical costs if the water gets contaminated.

Old 06-10-19, 04:36 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I would replace the valve. They are relatively inexpensive.

Old 06-11-19, 12:30 PM
G
Thank you for the replies, I have said from the start it should be replaced but my dad can't be told anything as he feels he knows it all. My largest concern is that contaminated water ends up in the water softener system and then into the drinking water. I've atttempted to explain that trying to save the money on the new backflow preventor could cost not only a new backflow preventor but also having the water purification company out to have to service the softener or clean the lines in the house but he doesn't like to listen.

Does anybody know for sure if there is a good chance of the water in the sprinkler lines ending up back in the house's water system when the housing on this backflow preventor being cracked? I had only read that this was a real concern somewhere else and I don't think the guy was using a proper backflow preventor.

Thanks again everybody for taking the time to post.

Old 06-11-19, 12:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
At the worst.... the repaired crack will leak.
I don't see the crack inhibiting the functioning of the valve.

Old 06-11-19, 01:27 PM
G
So water from the sprinkler lines cannot enter back into the house?

Thank you

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: