Levelling for walkway, stone retaining wall

Old 06-21-19, 06:51 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Levelling for walkway, stone retaining wall

I'm trying to create a more level walkway from the front of our house around the side. Currently it's heavily sloped/eroded and the blocks the previous owner used are mostly above ground at this point. During a project in the back yard I pulled out 30-40 large natural stones that are between 25-50lbs each, and was thinking of using them to make a short retaining wall to level this area a bit. Because of some shallow/exposed roots of 4 spruce trees that will be on the downhill side of where I want to build the wall, I don't think I can do much digging to add base rock.
I'd like to make the wall 2 rows tall to still allow some sloping away from the house but crate a more level walkway. Backfill with 3/4" clean rock. Install either a flagstone or paver walkway. Then either soil, mulch and some small shade plants like Coleus between the walkway and retaining wall, or top it with river rock unplanted.
Would a short wall like this require a rock base under it, or could I use landscape fabric (geotextile) to help distribute the weight and prevent collapse?
I'll also be removing shrubs in front of the porch and re-routing the downspout/rock swale to make a raised planter bed that wraps around the front porch and covers the ugly exposed concrete parts. So the new walkway & retaining wall will need to be somewhere between the red borders I drew in photo 1.
Photo 1 is the area in question with the red bordering what I'd like to be leveled. The stakes are where I pictured the walkway being. (My 2yr old was helping me that day and has trouble navigating the previous owners trainwreck edging)
Photo 2 is just a few of the stones I have removed from other areas of the property and would like to use for the new wall

Thoughts, advice, critiques of my idea are welcome. Just need some help before breaking ground, and my back!

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-19, 07:04 AM
Received 364 Votes on 340 Posts
So for a walkway, especially a paver , you need a good foundation consisting of a min of 6" of compacted crushed limestone. Anything less and eventually it will be completely out of level.

If you have trees in the general area, especially pine with shallow roots that are close that will be a problem also.

A small retaining wall made up of one layer of large rocks really doesn't need a base but if your putting down the base for the walk just extend it out to pick up the wall.

Old 06-21-19, 08:30 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Good to know about the limestone depth, thank you! So I may need to at least some excavation of the slope where I want to put the walkway. But where it 'picks up the wall' does that limestone need to be deep or in a trench or literally just coating the ground where the wall will sit.

Old 06-22-19, 04:06 AM
Received 364 Votes on 340 Posts
If your just using boulders/rocks the nice thing is if they shift a little nothing shows unlike a wall build from pavers, you don't need any footing! I'll retract my earlier statement regarding the base!

Old 06-22-19, 04:21 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 619 Votes on 572 Posts
The rocks you have can be used for decoration but they are not the best for retaining anything. Their modest size and smooth, rounded shape makes them easy to move. Ideally they would be buried half way in the ground to anchor them. Larger rocks with flat sides and sharp angles can stay in place on their own much better.