Patch of lawn died

Old 07-28-19, 11:12 AM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Patch of lawn died

About a 3'x3' patch of lawn has died, due to, I think, someone cleaning out a drywall bucket and pouring the resulting water onto that patch of lawn. There is what looks like powdery residue on the top of the patch of dead lawn, which seems to be from the drywall. Any suggestions on bringing the grass back. It's Emerald Zoysia. Could I vacuum up the powder and put something on the lawn to neutralize the drywall residue, or am I going to have to put in a patch of new sod?

Old 07-28-19, 02:46 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,623 Likes on 1,457 Posts
I don't think the drywall water did it as I've done it many, many times without affect other than the grass likes the water in summer. Sheetrock mud is mostly gypsum which is usually added on purpose as a fertilizer and is generally not harmful to plants. I suspect you have another problem. Are you 100% certain where the sheetrock water was tossed? Are you 100% certain the white on the grass is sheetrock mud or could it be a fungus?

Old 07-29-19, 10:03 PM
T
People were also cleaning brushes of latex paint in that area....the other possibility is that some workers may have cleaned a bucket that had quick set concrete dust residue in it...there seems to be some sort of grey colored dust there, it hasn't set up like concrete, it's just dust. .......

Old 07-30-19, 02:37 AM
Received 995 Likes on 904 Posts
Unless the area was completely covered in deep material latex and cement residue would not kill the grass, just wait till the work is done, dig it up and reseed/sod when the weather cools!

Old 07-30-19, 06:28 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,623 Likes on 1,457 Posts
I have never used a product during house construction that killed grass. Sheetrock, mud, latex paint, thinset... all their buckets get washed and thrown on the lawn. In summer it makes a greener patch from the extra water. My first suspect is a fungal disease.

Old 07-30-19, 07:09 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,177 Likes on 1,135 Posts
Zoysia should recover pretty quickly if this was something topical and not a disease process. A couple good waterings might help as well.

Old 07-30-19, 11:04 AM
T
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll water it for a while and see what happens.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: