Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

two 3/4" porcelin pavers stacked as stepping stones problems

Old 08-14-19, 07:45 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

I'm putting in a stepping stone path and to get more height out of a 24" square by 3/4" thick porcelain paver I stacked two of them on top each other to get a 1.5" height. At first everything seemed fine, they seemed to fit snugly, and were stable. We had a rain storm last night and now the pavers are making a crunching sound when walked on. When I step on them water is squeezed out from between the pavers. The crunching sound isn't loud, but it is there and the fit between the top and bottom paver is no longer as tight. I was thinking of putting a thin plastic sheet, 2mm, between the top and bottom paver, not sure how that would hold up but it would seem that it would stop the porcelain on porcelain friction. Each paver weighs about 35lbs....not sure how the water was able to shift things between the pavers but it seems it has.

Old 08-14-19, 09:26 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Probably washed dirt in between.

Maybe mortar the back sides together!

Old 08-14-19, 11:29 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
what the thinest thickness mortar that would work...I don't want the height of the stones to come up too much as it's just about the ideal height now. I got some 6ml plastic and put that between the stones and at least for now that has stopped the grinding....don't know how long the plastic will last under the weight of the stone and people walking......

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: