Kohler XT650 Recoil Starter Stuck

Old 09-01-19, 04:45 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kohler XT650 Recoil Starter Stuck

I had to remove the recoil starter in order to replace the carburetor on my Kohler XT650 lawnmower engine. The starter rope had worked fine before. But when I replaced it, the rope now won't pull out normally, it gets stuck after a very short pull. An ideas what went wrong? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-19, 04:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Don't know about your engine but usually the rope comes off the pulley.

Old 09-01-19, 05:07 PM
A
Received 67 Votes on 61 Posts
Thinking that since it worked okay before maybe it's just in a bit of a bind so would loosen the bolts, wiggle it a little bit to see if it works okay and tighten it back up.

Old 09-01-19, 07:48 PM
A
It's basically just like the one in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQVoggSk9gs.
I already loosened the bolts and tried a few times with the rope fully coiled inside or extended, but it I can't get it to move freely.

Old 09-02-19, 04:59 AM
B
Received 93 Votes on 81 Posts
If the starter rope retracts, it is possible the pretension on the rewind spring got increased when off the engine and the rewind spring is compressed fully. Remove the assembly from engine and try to release the spring tension. If the starter rope doesn't retract, something is binding in the assembly. Remove assembly from engine and look for cause of binding.

Old 09-07-19, 05:15 AM
A
Well, this is embarrassing. It suddenly occurred to me that when I was testing the start rope, I wasn't holding the safety bar the way I would normally (because I wasn't trying to actually start it). So when I tried to start it normally, holding the bar, it started fine. Hopefully the carburetor replacement solved the original problem of gas leaking through the air filter.