Ramp erosion

Old 05-06-23, 04:56 PM
J
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Ramp erosion

I have a concrete ramp from front to back yard which allows transfer of equipment ie. lawnmower, snowblower between the front (ground level) and back (walkout basement ground level). The base of the ramp fails to keep topsoil due to (rain?wind?) erosion. What would be the best way to keep topsoil in order to grow grass? Lip at the top? Bottom? Level out the bottom some and use a manual ramp to bridge the gap? I have attached pictures and appreciate any input.

Old 05-07-23, 04:39 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,270 Upvotes on 2,022 Posts
Do you have dogs? Seeing the heavy wear and bare patches in other areas of the yard there is more going on than just the ramp.

Jmk0780 voted this post useful.
Old 05-07-23, 05:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 870 Upvotes on 761 Posts
A ditch filled with gravel at the bottom of the ramp would alleviate any run off concerns but like PD I think it's more than just erosion.

Old 05-07-23, 07:50 AM
J
Yes, but the dog is now trained to urinate in one area so I am in the process of cultivating and seeding the bare spots. I have added topsoil to the bottom of the ramp only for it to erode away so the issue is definitely there. I guess adding gravel would be a good option but ideally I'd do something to stop the erosion and grow grass. The ramp isn't so heavily used that grass there would be a problem.

Old 05-07-23, 09:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 870 Upvotes on 761 Posts
A ditch filled with gravel next to the bottom of the ramp gives the water a place to go so it doesn't affect the dirt/grass and shouldn't look unsightly

Jmk0780 voted this post useful.
Old 05-07-23, 04:14 PM
J
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I just have a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that water erodes so much topsoil. It's like 5-6 feet from the ramp that is just sand and rocks. How wide of a ditch would you think will be enough to stop the water and allow grass? Thanks again.

Old 05-07-23, 04:47 PM
D
Group Moderator
Received 280 Upvotes on 221 Posts
I'm no landscaper by any means. I have bald spots in my yard due to sandy soil & shade, but that's not your problem here as I see it.

I think at least part of the problem is the slope of the ramp allows rain to run down so fast that it washes out the dirt, not only from the edge of the ramp but that 5 or six feet around the ramp. Obviously all the water runs from the top, down the ramp to that small area & possibly stays wet or damp around the area underground.

I cant give you any professional advise on this, but since the ramp isn't used very often, you could put something like a board on the ground at the bottom of the ramp edge (temporarily) to divert the flow of water to the edges of the ramp, then use more boards (like a 1X4) to lay flat on the ground around the parameter of the dead area to keep out the flow of rainwater, put in topsoil, level it off level with the 1" board, get some grass started, then remove the boards after the grass is seated or attached to the ground.

Or better yet, again, use a board to divert the water at the bottom of the ramp, & get 20 or so squares of sod/turf grass & let it seat/attach, then you could permanently remove the board "dam" at the foot of the ramp.
Once the grass is mature it should hold the soil in place..... even if you used a board for a dam & simply remove & replace it each time you use the ramp.... for a period of time.

Old 05-07-23, 06:31 PM
T
Received 76 Upvotes on 69 Posts
Not sure how much water you get coming down that incline, but as a temporary fix nail set some pt 2x4 on the flat along the entire bottom of the ramp on top of the concrete (set it back 6" from the bottom edge to allow for splash effects). You need to slow the water down before it hits the soil. A 2x4 will create a lot of turbulence. A more permanent fix would be to pour a small pad of concrete at the base, again with a lip higher than the bottom of the ramp to act as a break. It will collect dirt eventually that you have to clean out every so often. I'd then surround that concrete pad with maybe a 1' width of gravel a few inches deep giving more area for the water to slow and percolate into the ground.

If the amount of water coming down the ramp easily overwhelms this you'll still get erosion. In that case I'd start looking at diverting the water from the top before it picks up the kinetic energy and some how get it to a lower elevation via piping.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: