Stump Removal

Old 06-18-23, 07:58 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Stump Removal

I have some overgrown bushes up close to my house that need to be pulled/put cut down. I would like to have the stumps ground after removing them so I can plant something in their place. However, I am afraid that grinding the stumps so close to the building could damage the foundation causing cracks in the walls of the building. Is this a valid concern? I want to plant something in place of the bushes I would be removing so I am reluctant to just chop them off flush with the ground.

Any ideas?

Old 06-18-23, 08:17 PM
D
Group Moderator
Received 258 Upvotes on 206 Posts
Just FYI:
I've had stumps ground down. As far as I know, stumps are not usually ground below the top soil. As far as planting something in its place, there is still going to be a stump level with the ground.
I may be wrong & it maybe an option, but all my stumps have been ground down only to level with the ground. They'll usually leave you a pile of wood chips which will rot & be gone in a couple of years. That's my experience.

I don't think it would affect your homes foundation in any way.

If its just "bushes" then you could have them pulled up or dug out. I wouldn't try to pull up anything like a tree with somewhat large roots that might damage the foundation, but I'm sure in that case, they'd use something to cut the roots below ground.

I'm just trying to provide some generic, basic info. I am not arborist by any means & I'd welcome any corrections to any misinformation I have given.

Old 06-19-23, 03:32 AM
B
Received 303 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Don't know size of your bushes but I have used a 2 ton come along to pull 4 inch diameter trees (at base) out of the ground with some help from digging and cutting of roots. Come along can be anchored to a nearby tree or a vehicle. This method will not damage the foundation.

YaddaYadda voted this post useful.
Old 06-19-23, 05:16 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,267 Upvotes on 1,207 Posts
Stump grinding will not damage the house but it will also not create a space for a new plant, as the majority of the stump below ground will remain. If small, enough, pulling the stumps and roots would allow for new plants.

Old 06-19-23, 06:29 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Photos would help us give you better advice.

marksr voted this post useful.
Old 06-19-23, 09:48 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
I have some overgrown bushes
Depends on size but bushes should be easier to remove than trees. Stump grinder is generally used on trees, big trees.

Old 06-19-23, 10:17 AM
Received 23 Upvotes on 20 Posts
Dig down abt 18 inches, put a chain around it and pull it out with your truck.
or-- digging down that far will get you access to supporting roots, which you can saw or better yet, get a 12" pruning blade for a sawzall, remove those then see if you can chop the main roots off. I've done that on many bushes and smaller trees.
as stated, it won't affect your foundation, but I would cut it at least 6" below grade. Use a stump grinder for larger tree trunks only.

blu_twstd_steel voted this post useful.
Old 06-20-23, 07:06 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
"Dig down abt 18 inches, put a chain around it and pull it out with your truck."
I have done the same many times for small & large trees, as well as bushes. Most were very close to the foundation with a basement. I also found it helpful to put a sprinkler near the tree/bush and let it soften the ground. It seemed to help pull up many of the roots with the stump.

Old 06-21-23, 06:38 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
When using a chain to pull up the bushes, wrap the chain around the bush twice to get a better grip on the bush.

Old 06-22-23, 05:16 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
When using a chain to pull up the bushes
Id be using a tow strap, using the wrong chain with lots of tension can snap causing injury and damage,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: