New River Birch tree that is struggling

Old 06-19-23, 06:49 PM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New River Birch tree that is struggling

I live in Ohio and and planted a new river birch tree last fall. This summer I am noticing that the tree is growing leaves that look a 1/4 of the normal size leaves and they are dark green. I have been watering the tree and don't notice any bugs. Is there anything that I can give the tree to help it grow and have normal sized leaves? After some research online, some people point to a lack of nickel for the tree and that it is common in new birch trees? But I have not found any products that increase nickel levels. Any help is very much appreciated! It has been pretty hot this summer but I am watering the tree about every other day.

Old 06-19-23, 09:17 PM
Y
Received 24 Upvotes on 23 Posts
When did the tree first leaf out......a week ago or two weeks or a month ? Are you watering DEEP or shallow ? Dig down away from the roots and look. Not sure why some leafs have a crisp edge or tip. Too much fertilizer ?

Old 06-20-23, 07:22 AM
A
The tree started leafing out in the spring so a little over two months ago. The tree is next to new grass and flowers and I have been running the sprinkler about 30 mins pre day. I have not fertilized the tree yet. Maybe the tree is getting too much water? Or I feel like the tree is missing some kind of fertilizer. A neighbor run the road has a newer birch tree that looks great, mine is just struggling.

Old 06-20-23, 07:55 AM
Y
Received 24 Upvotes on 23 Posts
Maybe......too much water. Grass blades will show dead tips if too much water. When planted, did the root ball get unwound and spread out ? I was thinking the roots are growing in a circle...so not much growth overall.

abombs007 voted this post useful.
Old 06-20-23, 08:02 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,009 Upvotes on 1,801 Posts
River Birch are known for tolerating wet soil when established but they are like most other plants when freshly planted. Watering for half an hour each day could be keeping the soil saturated, or at least too much water. Your lawn is probably also suffering from that much water.

Nickel is pretty unusual deficiency and pretty rare when growing in soil. You can spray the leaves with a nickel fertilizer though I think your problem is the watering.

abombs007 voted this post useful.
Old 06-20-23, 08:36 AM
A
Thank you both for the replies! I will be sure to back off on the water and watch the soil moisture to make sure it is not getting too dry. I did break up the root ball some when planting it. Last night I also applied two general tree fertilizer spikes about 2.5 feet away from the tree to help give it a boost.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: