Need a quick fix on a driveway, help!

Old 10-13-23, 06:09 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Need a quick fix on a driveway, help!

I've been telling the kids for 3 years to start repairing the pot holes in their driveway, now they waiting so long that it turned into the driveway from hell. They plan on having a new driveway put in next summer which isn't going to do much good this year because winter is right around the corner. What I'm looking for is just a quick fix for this winter so they can at least have the driveway plowed. A friend told them he would come over with his skid-steer and knock down all the humps that was caused by all the stone being pushed out from driving on it for the past 3 years. If we can get the humps taken down and most of the water to drain out what kind of stone can I put in this driveway for a temporary fix until summer. I don't care if it's stone, millings, or whatever, I just need to get the driveway somewhat smooth before the snow comes. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for wrong spelling in the subject line, it should have read 'quick fix'

Last edited by mark249; 10-13-23 at 06:16 AM. Reason: wrong spelling in subject line
Old 10-13-23, 06:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,960 Upvotes on 1,757 Posts
Crushed limestone would usually be good for a driveway like that. Grading it now and then would have prevented it from getting that bad.

Old 10-13-23, 09:03 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,269 Upvotes on 2,021 Posts
It will take some scraping to get it smoothed out and draining without bringing in new stone. I like crusher run stone which is a blend of various sizes so it interlocks and packs down well and doesn't get pushed to the side as easily as "gravel".

Old 10-13-23, 12:39 PM
J
Received 23 Upvotes on 21 Posts
Looks like the driveway is lower than the ground on either side. I would create sloped shoulders giving the water somewhere to go. Ideally a drainage ditch. Either build up the drive or grade away the shoulders.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: