Is it ok to have low plant bed next to house?

Old 03-28-24, 01:24 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is it ok to have low plant bed next to house?

I have built a small plant bed next to my house in my backyard (in which I will obviously not plant anything with big roots). I am planning on building a paver patio that will butt up against it, with the top of the pavers almost flush with the top brick (they will be 1/4-1/2 inch below). I have built this planter partly because this future patio would have been the same level as the weep screed. So the grade in the planter is lower than the patio will be. Should I be concerned about rain collecting in this planter and damaging the foundation? It is not an area that gets much rain; no runoff from my roof. And the planter grade is the same as what the grade will be around the side of the house. There will be a small step up onto the pavers where that piece of wood is at the top of the photo. And I have put drainage holes in that end of the brick edging. I also put a 3inch drain pipe under the brick edging just incase there are any issues. If there are, I can locate that and connect it to my yard drainage system.

Any advice much appreciated. Just looking for some reassurance before I go ahead and install the patio! If really necessary I can lower the patio but would like it to be roughly the same height as the rest of my existing backyard. (The patio will obviously drain slightly away from the house).

Old 03-29-24, 08:45 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,309 Upvotes on 2,054 Posts
The first issue I see is that you are building a swimming pool. You've created a low planting area surrounded by bricks and eventually a walkway at higher elevation. The planting bed will collect water and not drain. This may or may not be an issue depending on the soil.

Generally from what I can see in the photo the soil/mulch elevation in the planter is only an inch or so below the sill level of the home. That's awfully close. I would prefer to see more elevation difference (like 4-6") to keep water, insects and rot away.

Old 03-29-24, 09:42 AM
B
Received 320 Upvotes on 282 Posts
Looking at drainage, it is always better to have the grade slope away from the foundation when choice is there. The following is offered without knowledge of the grade around whole house. I would remove planter bed. If paver patio is still a high priority, have it start at foundation with the top 4 inches below bottom of wall. I am assuming the current grade slopes away from foundation at planned patio location and the excavation keeps paver at grade at the bottom and two sides of the patio.

Old 03-29-24, 05:20 PM
J
Damn I just started moving in and compacting the paver base. Have only done an inch so far though.

I had a walk around my neighbourhood and there are plenty of houses with plant areas next to their foundation, surrounded by edging…

And as I say, it’s the same level as the side of the house will be (the area at the top of the first photo). And I have a drain in there that I can connect to my storm drain that runs out to the front. Just seems to me like surely it’ll be ok?!

And there’s 3 inches from the mulch up to the weep screed, which is an inch more than there was when I bought the house…

Old 03-29-24, 05:33 PM
J
How about if I run a drain along the side of the house at the back of the plant bed (or at the front), into my storm drain?

(thanks for the comments and advice so far!).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: