Electrical connection and Design question

Old 02-06-16, 02:00 PM
K
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Electrical connection and Design question

I have two (unrelated) questions ---

1) Trying to replace a light fixture and not able to disconnect the existing fixture. The existing wire connector (twisted) is too tight . Any tips how to get it disconnected without cutting the wire.

2) From a design perspective, is it OK to use track accent lights in Living room ? In other words, is track light in vogue or recessed can with gimbal is the way to go ? I was thinking recessed can but the track makes my job much easier and saves some money (already have some track lights handy)

Old 02-06-16, 03:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Even if you were able to remove the cap, the wires have probably gotten too hot and will need cutting anyway. I'd cut, strip and reconnect.

The type of lighting will be dictated by your need. Spot focusing paintings, or wall hangings are done well by track lighting. It isn't passe, but isn't used as general lighting much. I have a client who insisted on track lighting on high vaulted ceilings. Until the advent of LED bulbs, I would make it a routine every year to change out all the light bulbs, which was a big to-do at 14'.

Gimbel lighting is nice for fireplaces, but over all recessed lighting will give more even lighting.

Old 02-07-16, 09:37 AM
K
Thanks ! Yes it is for fireplace lighting on a low (8 ') ceiling house.

My only concern with recessed can is will I be able to cut properly through Plaster and Ply ceiling .

Old 02-07-16, 11:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Cutting through the wood is not a problem, but the plaster may eat up the teeth on a hole saw. I understand there are diamond engrained hole saws just for harder substances, but I have no idea where to find them. Track lighting would be acceptable in your instance, but I would opt for the smallest heads possible.

Old 02-07-16, 11:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
My only concern with recessed can is will I be able to cut properly through Plaster and Ply ceiling .
Like Larry mentioned...... cutting is not the problem.

The problem I see is locating the ceiling joists thru plaster and plywood. If you do have plywood under the plaster I would recommend steering clear of the recessed fixtures as there is no easy way to find the joists.

Old 02-07-16, 12:08 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
In other words, is track light in vogue or recessed can with gimbal is the way to go ?
If you are a slave to ever-changing "design criteria" there is no hope as whatever you do will be "outdated" in a few years. Do what YOU like and thumb your nose to all the "beautiful people" that say this is in and that is out.

I have track lighting in my front room as general lighting. I installed it shortly after moving in some sixteen years ago. I have never replaced a bulb. Then again, I don't use my front room much and I have the lights on a dimmer.

Old 03-04-16, 05:23 AM
K
Thanks for all help just wanted to share my progress . Coming along nicely (though at snails pace due to other commitments). Holes made, Cans installed and connected to each other ... here is a picture . I need to make the final power connection which I plan to do this weekend

Attached Images  

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: