Need Help with Wiring Setup

Old 02-09-16, 09:44 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need Help with Wiring Setup

Sorry this is my first post but wanted to ask a few experts before trusting the electrician we hired.

Recently built addition onto house. Ran brand new wiring to 2 box's and a Ceiling fan box.
Box 1: Lutron DImmer Switch
Box 2: Lutron Accessory Dimmer Switch and a Dimmer Fan switch.

Prior to building addition, we had a light switch on the inside of the house that fed an exterior light. We are using that light switch as the source for power to new ceiling fan ONLY.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  20.9 KB

Can anyone help me with the correct way to wire this based on the diagram I attached. The electrician wanted to turn the switch inside the house into an outlet and continue to feed the LIVE Power IN wire to the ceiling fan and then connect the 2 dimmers from the ceiling fan box??

Thank you in advance for any help.

Old 02-09-16, 10:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

before trusting the electrician we hired.
You hired an electrician whom we can assume ran cables and you are asking how to wire it ?

Power in to the fan box will work.

Last edited by PJmax; 02-09-16 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-09-16, 10:45 AM
A
The electrician we originally hired (Whom ran the wires) also wired our basement. After inspecting out basement we saw he used 2 junction boxes to an outlet for a dryer less then 4 feet from panel and had our Furnace on the same circuit as 2 outlets and an upstairs light switch. I began to question everything he did and fired him.

I had a friend of a friend come in and fix the above issues but he did not have time to work on the addition as well. If this part is not done properly, It will not be nearly as obvious as the previous one was to me and I want to get an idea of correct wiring for switches and all that fun stuff so I can double check the new electricians work when he is done (Once we find a reputable one).

I have learned there are amazing people out there but you need to double check even the most reputable people. I don't have the schooling or knowledge that any of you guys have to do it myself so I am stuck with learning what I can and watching over the pros as they work.

Old 02-09-16, 04:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Are you looking for an actual diagram or did you just want to know if the cabling, as installed, will work ?

Old 02-10-16, 07:52 AM
A
I am sure the wires are run correctly but they are not connected to anything.

I am looking for the correct way (diagram or helpful advice) as to how to wire the dimmer switches in this setup.

I know it needs to be a 3way set up, but with the LIVE power coming in where it is, I am not sure if it is best to keep it run to the ceiling light first or loosen up the wire from the studs and reroute it to the single switch.

Live Power wire is not long enough to run to Double switch box so only limited to those 2 options.

Does that make more sense to what I am asking?

Old 02-10-16, 08:01 AM
A
If it helps:

I am using Lutron Maestro Dimmer and Accessory Dimmer switches for light control and Lutron Fan switch

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: