Ceiling Fan Installation Gone Long

Old 02-10-16, 12:39 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ceiling Fan Installation Gone Long

Hi everybody, new poster here!

I just moved into a new house last Friday, and I bought a ceiling fan to install in my bedroom. I've installed ceiling fans and regular light fixtures before, so I expected this to be done before bed on Saturday, but now it's Wednesday, and I still don't have my fan installed. My biggest issue is that it appears none of the lights installed in my house are butted up against any rafters or studs. They're all centered between two of them with a flimsy metal bar. I bought a Westinghouse Safe-T-Brace that can support my fan to replace the thin beam that supported the old light, but I can't seem to get the old beam out of the ceiling. It's been stapled to one rafter, and I can't see the other end through the hole, and I can't really figure out a safe way of removing it without damaging the ceiling. I don't have a miniature crowbar or a nail puller, and the majority of my tools are packed in boxes that I have yet to go through. One thought that I had this morning was to try to push it up with a hammer and a chunk of wood, but I don't know if it will damage the ceiling. Has a member of the forums encountered something like this before? I would like to have a working light fixture in my room by the end of the week.

Thanks.

Old 02-10-16, 01:43 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
My biggest issue is that it appears none of the lights installed in my house are butted up against any rafters or studs. They're all centered between two of them with a flimsy metal bar.
That is the normal way they are installed.
I can't seem to get the old beam out of the ceiling.
Cut it in half. If you still can't remove it bend it up out of the way.

Old 02-10-16, 01:51 PM
C
Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts
I take it you have no access from above?

*Usually* those have metal tabs that are between the drywall and the joists, and then they are stapled with cable staples into the side of the joists. I suggest you do as you said, but instead of pushing straight up, which will put pressure on the drywall from the tabs, you push it at an angle, as close to sideways as you can get given you are working through a small hole. One of the staples will eventually pull out, and then you can usually reach in there and dislodge the other side.

The things are pretty flimsy, so usually the tab doesn't hurt the drywall, but there is a slight chance.

Another option is to cut it in half and then wiggle each half loose. That minimizes chance of hurting the drywall, but if you don't have the right tools available, the first method should work OK.

Old 02-10-16, 03:10 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I take it you have no access from above?
I do, but no ladder big enough to clear the 16" rise for the insulation.

I think what I'll end up doing is cutting it in half. I'm going to make a trip to the hardware store to pick up a small hacksaw because the one I currently have doesn't fit in the hole.

Thanks for the tips!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: