Help matching LED recessed trim between standard and slim/thin units

Old 02-22-16, 11:11 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help matching LED recessed trim between standard and slim/thin units

I am in the middle of renovating my basement which has a suspended ceiling. I have removed all the surface-mount lighting fixtures and installed new 6" IC recessed lighting housings on the ceiling grid. The plan is to install either individual LED bulbs with conventional recessed lighting trim, or install those LED retrofit kits.

The problem is that 3 of the locations where I want to put the lights is directly under a bathroom drain or other obstruction, so I can't fit the recessed housing or even a shallow recessed housing (one place has about 3" of clearance).

My solution (so I thought) was to purchase 3 of those slim/thin LED units which only require 1" of head space. For example, one of these: 6" Ultra-Thin LED Recessed Light - 9 Watt (65 Watt Equivalent) – aspectLED

But, all of these very thin LED units have a lens that sits flush with the trim, whereas all LED retrofit kits all have lenses which are set in deeper than the trim. I can't seem to find a solution to match the trim between both regular units and thin units so once everything is installed they all look the same.

Can anyone recommend a solution? Perhaps a company that sells matching retrofit kits and thin units?

Old 02-24-16, 05:00 PM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Who is the mfg. of the IC frames, have you checked to see if they offer a trim to match, if so maybe possible to put a regular LED lamp in that fixture.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: