Installing new light fixtures requiring 90 degree wiring in an older house

Old 02-26-16, 07:57 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing new light fixtures requiring 90 degree wiring in an older house

Our 1980 house has NM wiring, which is rated for 60 degree C. I want to replace old flush mount lights with new fixtures, which must also be flush mount because of low ceiling height. There is no access to install additional junction boxes. The new lights have a warning label that says Caution: risk of fire, need to have 90 degree C supply conductors. The new light fixture uses a 17 watt LED module rather than an incandescent bulb. Is the LED cooler enough than an incandescent bulb to make it OK to install the new fixtures despite the warning. If not, and suggestions? Thanks for your help.

Old 02-27-16, 04:30 PM
Received 91 Votes on 86 Posts
Are the old fixtures recessed type,or are they just mounted close to the ceiling? Post some pics

Old 02-28-16, 05:46 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sorry, I don't have any pictures. They are close to the ceiling.

Old 02-28-16, 09:15 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
There is no access to install additional junction boxes.
You could put a box in the same joist bay a few inches from the existing box and move the existing wiring to that and run 90 NM-b to the old box on which you will mount the new fixture. You can put a blank cover on the splice box and paint the cover to match the ceiling. What I describe can be done without access from above. I can give full details if you are interested in doing it this way.

Example of blank cover:
Name:  41VZEvmNmVL._SX300_.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  4.9 KB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: