Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Lighting, Light Fixtures, Ceiling and Exhaust Fans
Reload this Page >

proper gauge wire for a standard T8 florescent fixture connection (residential)

Old 03-06-16, 03:12 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

hello

i just purchased a 8' florescent shop light which requires 4 t8 bulbs, the light did not come with any cord for attachment.
i see the internal wiring of the fixture is labeled as 18 gauge, i was surprised to see such a light gauge wire?

it will not be hard wired i just need to reach the closest outlet.
will splicing a 18 gauge connection to the fixture be acceptable or should i use 16 or 14 gauge?

thanks for the advice

Old 03-06-16, 03:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
i see the internal wiring of the fixture is labeled as 18 gauge, i was surprised to see such a light gauge wire?
Fixture wires have a special part in the NEC and have a different set of rules. They only need to carry the load of the fixture they are feeding and many cases have a higher temperature rated insulation.

The wire/cable that you use to feed the light fixture needs to match the wire size of the branch circuit overcurrent device (circuit breaker/fuse). So, if the circuit you are coming off of is a 15 amp circuit you will need to use #14 wire or 14/2 cable. If it is a 20 amp circuit you will need to use #12 wire or 12/2 cable.

Old 03-08-16, 04:40 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 277 Upvotes on 253 Posts
Technically the fixture that did not come with a cord and plug may not be equipped with a cord and plug. But if it did come with a cord and plug, the cord would probably be 16 or 18 gauge such as the cord for a table lamp.

Some shop light fixtures come with a cord and plug but the cord is only about 12 to 18 inches long. Use of an extension cord must still be regarded as temporary. But a flexible conduit or approved cable with the full 12 or 14 gauge wiring can come down from the ceiling to provide a box with receptacles within reach of the fixture.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: