Three way switch problem

Old 03-12-16, 09:42 AM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up SOLVED! - Three way switch problem

SOLVED IT!! - The black screw terminal was in the wrong hole. I turned the Decora switch over and could faintly see "Common" stamped into the back behid a brass terminal. I just moved the black wire to this terminal (and changed the screw) so all is good now. Thanks to anyone who viewed this post. Hope you have a great day!

Hello all, I am adding three way switching to some pot lights at the stair landing.

I have followed the wiring diagram exactly as shown in option#9 on this page.

I have a 3-way dimmer in the first box (with power feed from the panel, and feed to the light coming into it). The other switch is a standard Decora 3-way switch and is the only device in the box.

Name:  3WayWiring_Option9.jpg
Views: 8721
Size:  33.4 KB

When the dimmer switch is off, the Decora switch does nothing. If it is "on", then the Decora switch functions fine.

Just want to make sure this wiring diagram is correct. Is says to wire the whites together, but is pointing to the black wires (typo maybe?).

It seems like a simple thing to do. I have checked all my connections multiple times and everything is wired according to the diagram. I'm stumped!

Last edited by Vancad; 03-12-16 at 09:59 AM. Reason: I fixed it - screw in wrong place
Old 03-12-16, 10:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.'

I see you here talking to yourself.

Every three way switch has some type of common terminal marking.
Good job.

Old 03-12-16, 10:12 AM
I don't want to brag but I also fixed something once...

Just kidding and welcome.

Old 03-12-16, 12:23 PM
V
haha! - Thanks guys. That was really starting to bum me out. Oh well, now that the wiring's done, I will celebrate with a cold "beverage".

Peace to you all!

Great forum BTW!

Old 03-12-16, 12:39 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
But the diagram you posted does not meet current code. As of 2011 the NEC requires a neutral at all switches unless a neutral can be easily added such as when conduit is used.

Meets NEC 2011:
Name:  3-way_PWR-SW-1R.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  17.2 KB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: