Power To Light Fixture but no Light

Old 03-13-16, 01:27 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Power To Light Fixture but no Light

hello guys i am new here if there is a thread that can help me can you please help me find the thread..

I have two kitchen lights not working one is a simple 3 bulb drop light the other is a ceiling fan.. Now i have a Klein Duel Range Voltage tester, It dose read power going to the fixture lights regardless if the switch is off or not..

Now when i took out the switches for the drop light there was a set of WHITE wires that were together and then 6 Black Wires which 4 of them where connected to the switches, i took them all off and found out one of the black wires is the only one with a power current going thru it.. The ceiling Fan switch just has a simple White and black wire...

i put them all back the same way it was before. The Lights have done this before for couple weeks then suddenly came back on. We have also had a squirrel problem which we got rid of.

I think the Squirrel is a big part of this but i thought i might ask and save some money. If there is anything you guys can figure out for me that would be great other wise just tell me to get a electrician.. ask me any questions and ill provide you with the answers of the best of my knowledge Thank you for your time...

Old 03-13-16, 01:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! The tool you have is a tick tracer. It only tells you if there is any induced voltage present. It is not a good tool to do diagnosis with, beyond that. You really should have an inexpensive analog multimeter ($10) to help you. With the power removed from the fixture circuit, remove the fixture and bell on the fan and turn the power back on. Test the black to white wires with the switch on. You should have 120 volts. If not then test from black to ground. If you get voltage there, then you have a compromised neutral. Do you have access to the attic space? If so, I would check the wiring for chew marks and broken cabling. Let us know what you find out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: