Installing new fan... one works one doesn't!

Old 03-13-16, 05:47 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing new fan... one works one doesn't!

So here is what I am trying to install: ceiling fan with lights and a remote, which is replacing a ceiling fan with lights (sans remote)

the problem fixture is on a mutliple switch that has 1 switch for the fan and 2 switches (in different areas) for the light.

The problem is, the best way to set it up right now makes it so that the 2 light switches work but the fan switch does nothing. (I can turn the fan on with the remove, however.) I tried another wire setup and it trips the fuse.

On the flip side (useful for diagnostics?) I have successfully installed the same model fan in an adjacent room but it has 1 switch for the fan and 1 switch for the lights.

here are 2 photos I tried to take of the current set up...

Name:  fan1.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  32.3 KBName:  fan2.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  33.4 KB

THANK YOU... Thank you for reading I hope we can figure this out after hours of working on this!

Old 03-13-16, 07:07 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Is power supplied to the fan with a 3-conductor cable with black for fan and red for lights? If so the best option is to:
  • Connect the fans blue wire to the house red and use the remote only for the fan.
  • The remote line in (usually black) goes to house black.
  • Remote fan load connection to fan black.
  • Remote light load wire capped and not used.
  • All whites connected together.
Assumes power comes in at the switch. If not post back.

Last edited by ray2047; 03-13-16 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-14-16, 03:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Remove the green wire from the white bundle and attach it to your grounding wire, or box if conduit is used. It should not be part of the neutral cluster.

Old 03-16-16, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Made a minor mistake actually... the light is controlled with 3 wall switches but the fan is still 1.

As for the green wire with the white, that is how it was wired in the old fan so I stuck with it.

Old 03-17-16, 11:33 AM
Z
Received 124 Upvotes on 115 Posts
hi BigTime –

Did you change any connections in any of the switch boxes? You didn’t say what you changed. It seems hard to understand why (but I’m no expert) why the fan switch would fail to do anything now unless somehow it is now being bypassed.

You would think that would be just one cable (with red, black, and white) coming in from the ceiling providing power: red (lights), black (fan), and white (neutral), with the black coming from a wall switch, and the red coming from the output of a 4-way switch setup. Seems to me that’s how it would have been since the 3 light switches worked and still do and the fan switched previously worked.

But I guess there are many ways to do it – ray certainly would know.

You didn’t say what the model of the unit is. You didn’t say what connections you made up at the unit. Looks like a wire is capped off (2nd pic lower right wire nut) but it may just be my bad eyes. Just wondering why that was done before ray described what to cap off.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: