FIXED! Stop hunting for your hunter remote.

Old 03-16-16, 10:22 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FIXED! Stop hunting for your hunter remote.

If you are sick of searching for your remote in the dark, here is the fix. This fix will replace the relay inside the fan so that the light can be turned on/off with the switch and still be operated by the remote.

Hunter Fans by default are setup in series (i.e. you turn on the wall switch and then the remote to get light). And due to the circuit controlling the light, if the wall switch turns off, the fan "forgets" what position it was in before and defaults to off. So everytime the electrical switch turns off, you need to search in the dark for the remote to turn it back on. However, you can replace one component and instead default to on. As in when you turn on the electrical switch, your light will turn on and you can still use the remote to turn the light on or off.

*Be safe with electronics* Make sure the light switch is off to prevent harm.

You need a replacement SPDT relay with the same pin setup. I found mine from digikey: part number Z2618-ND.

Once it arrives, open the fan by removing the two screws by the ceiling. It will then swing but stay supported. Reach in and remove the "white box". This is the receiver for your remote control. Use a flat head screw driver to pry open the 4 snaps to gain access to the circuit board.

There are 2 relays on the board, find the one that looks like the replacement i listed above. Using a soldering iron and solder wick, remove all solder from the 4 pins on the old relay. The replacement relay has 5 pins, but you need to cut one off. Lay the old and new relays side by side, they will both have 3 pins near each other, leave those alone. You want to cut off the pin that corresponds to the remaining pin on the old relay. (You don't want to keep the old pin, you want to keep the new pin)

You'll then see the hole where the pin is meant to go, but it will be too small. Use a small drill bit and drill the hole larger so the relay pin can fit.

Place the new relay into the circuit board, solder the 3 old pins in place and then use a small bit of wire to solder the new relay pin to the location of the old relay pin.

Test the light by turning on the electrical switch (the light should turn on without the remote). And then turn off the light by pressing the old "on" button on the remote (I know that is backwards, but it is oh so worth it). Assuming it works, pack everything back inside the fan in reverse order.

There you go, you can now turn on your light without NEEDING your remote, but you can still turn the light on/off with the remote.

I know my description isn't great, but if anyone is interested in my process, but unable to follow my instructions, reply and I will add pictures or answer questions.

Old 03-16-16, 10:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,322 Likes on 2,983 Posts
I have a Hunter fan that came with that feature. Every time there is a power failure.... the light comes on full brightness on power restoral.

Old 03-17-16, 06:21 AM
Received 646 Likes on 571 Posts
You do realize that your "Fix" will void any warranty and possibly cancel any insurance claim if damage is caused by this fix. Although I admire the ingenuity you showed I do not recommend it as DIY project. As PJ mentioned, newer fans has this built in.

BTW...Just turning off the fan switch at the wall is not good enough. Turn off the circuit at the main breaker box. In many cases the power feed wire may go to the light first then the wall switch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: