Ceiling fan electrical box not flush

Old 03-21-16, 04:11 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling fan electrical box not flush

Hi Guys,

I am trying to install a new ceiling fan in my new construction. This is my very first time trying to do any electrical work! So please help!!
I have a plastic box in the ceiling that says "supports fan upto 70 lbs". Does this need to be a metal box, or do new constructions typically have plastic boxes?

Also, the box is more than half inch recessed into the ceiling, so when I try to slide the mounting bracket that came with the fan, it doesn't work as the screws are now short. (see attachment) Name:  fan ceiling box.jpg
Views: 8202
Size:  16.5 KB

So I got longer 10x32 screws (3 inch) and a flat washer and then mounted the fan on those (I did not use the nut that came with the screw). Is this a problem? Should I have changed my electrical box in the ceiling or done something else? I know the code is that the box should not be more than 1/4" inside the ceiling.

I did manage to install it and the fan is operating correctly, but I wonder if this was the right approach. Will the screw hold up after prolonged usage?

Please let me know if this would work, or do I need a new box (or a box extender).

Thank you so much!
Nick

Old 03-21-16, 05:24 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 277 Upvotes on 253 Posts
Longer screws that penetrated the box at least as far as the original screws would have had the boc been flush will provide just as good support.

The code issure regarding the 1/4 inch maximum setback remains unsolved but that is not relevant to the structural strength of the box mounting. You may be able to find an extension ring that will fill the gap and not protrude so far out that the fan's canopy doesn't reach the ceiling.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: