Light to replace ceiling fan

Old 04-01-16, 02:23 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Light to replace ceiling fan

Help if you can/will please. I have pulled down a ceiling fan with light kit. It was switched from either of two wall switches. I want to replace it with a simple two wired ceiling light. There are 3 wire bundles. Two have three wires - a red, a black, and a white wire. One that connects directly to the breaker has only one black and one white wire. I cannot figure out the correct wiring for the two wire ceiling light to work with either switch. Neither of the wires on the ceiling light are color coded. I don't care if one or both switches work.Name:  Wiring 2.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  24.5 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-16, 03:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! How were the wires connected to the fan?

Old 04-01-16, 03:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
You opened the box and then "opened" all the connections.

Now you will need to identify which cable carries power to that box. If you are lucky..... it will be the two wire cable.

You will need to look at the wiring that is on both three way switches. DON'T disconnect it.... just let us know. I'm guessing you're going to find black on the common/dark colored screw and white and red on the two brass colored screws.

Old 04-02-16, 12:47 PM
D
Yeah... well, okay I'm a dumbass and "opened" all the connections. That being said, the switch is old, but as far as I can tell it has a one brass screw top left with the black wire. On the right there are two screws. The top with the red wire "looks" silver. The bottom looks black with the white wire. The power goes directly to the light box via the two wires, black and white. I've identified the three wire bundle that comes from the switch I'd like to use. The other switch I'd like to leave disconnected and just cap off the wires.

Old 04-02-16, 02:41 PM
You can remove the 3 way switch you aren't going to use, cap off the wires and tuck them in the box and cover it with a solid cover plate. On the one you want to use, remove the switch and use only the black and red wire, abandoning the white, capping it off. Use a regular SPST switch and connect the red to one screw and the black to the other. In the ceiling box cap off the three wires in the cable you are abandoning at the other switch. Cap off the white from the switch you are going to use, connect the red wire to the black wire from the power cable, the black wire from the switch to your fixture as well and the white wire to the fixture.

Old 04-02-16, 03:38 PM
D
Worked! Thank you so much!!!!

Old 04-02-16, 05:58 PM
Glad you got it going. Welcome back anytime!