Removing/cleaning old kitchen exhaust fan?

Old 04-17-16, 09:04 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Removing/cleaning old kitchen exhaust fan?

Hello everyone:

I have a really old exhaust fan above the stove and it needs a serious cleaning, I can see the gunk that has built up around the fan (and so can you thanks to the pic!).
Name:  kitchenfan.jpg
Views: 10802
Size:  23.5 KB
How do I remove the grill so that I can get to the fan? I am able to rotate the grill about half a circle, but then it stops (and I don't want to force it). Does the small circle in the center serve any purpose?

And any tips on how to remove that gunk would be very welcome.

Thanks a lot!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-16, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I'd imagine that if your pried off the small cover in the center you'd find a nut that would allow removal of the cover and access to the fan and motor.

Old 04-18-16, 09:03 PM
N
Thanks much. Actually, the center piece had to be unscrewed, and with a good bit of WD 40 and perseverance, I was able to get it off. It is now soaking in dish soap.

Is there a good degreaser that people would recommend that I could spray onto the fan to get rid of most of the built up grease? Something that would do make the grease just drip down?

Thanks!

Old 04-18-16, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator
Any spray type degreaser would destroy the paint and probably damage the fan motor. I would remove the fan and motor and use something like Krud Kutter or Simple Green and paper towels to clean everything.

Old 04-18-16, 11:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
There should be just two screws holding the motor/fan assembly in place. Loosen the screws a turn or two and turn the plate so the screws pass thru the slot. Unplug the motor. Makes it much easier to clean.

Spray Nine and Pine Sol are two other cleaners you can use. The motor windings are fairly robust.... not like today's motors.

Name:  fan.jpg
Views: 5056
Size:  27.4 KB

Old 04-20-16, 05:28 PM
N
Thanks for all the tips, I have the frame soaking in Pine Sol (which smells quite nice )

Apologies for the grossness but here is a pic of the fan, and it is a bit different from the one that PJmax posted. I am hesitant to remove the fan and motor - mainly because I am not sure if I could get it back on, haha!

Is this a simple removal (and back on) job? I cannot see any electric wires right now.

Also, are these fans easily available in the market?

Name:  dirty.jpg
Views: 4686
Size:  43.0 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 04-20-16 at 09:59 PM. Reason: marked picture
Old 04-20-16, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator
That is truly gross! Can't you get maintenance to take care of it? Thats a huge fire hazard.

Old 04-20-16, 10:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
I'll agree.... that's pretty bad. I can't believe the thing is still working. A newer motor would have long overheated by now running like that.

There should be three screws holding the bracket in place. I circled them on your picture.
You can replace the motor. I don't think the entire assembly is available.

Old 04-22-16, 08:14 PM
N
Thanks for all your help. I got it reasonably cleaned - the Pine Sol in a spray worked like a charm - spray, let sit for a while, wipe. I did this probably 10 times over the course of a day and I am happy with the result.

Now, the stem in the center (the orange piece in the center where the grill will be screwed back on) is loose and my challenge will be to get the grill back on because the stem turns as I try to screw on the grill!
Name:  cleaner.jpg
Views: 4715
Size:  33.8 KB

Last edited by newyork; 04-22-16 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-23-16, 05:07 AM
Received 73 Votes on 69 Posts
Will that center stud tighten into the housing first? If not ,put the grill on and try to push it against the stud to hold it while you tighten the nut for the grill.

Old 04-24-16, 09:14 PM
N
Wingnut to the rescue. Everything works fine now, I can hear the fan running faster than before, a little bit noisy but acceptable.
Name:  wingnut.jpg
Views: 5762
Size:  27.7 KB