Recessed light layout

Old 05-26-16, 06:36 PM
K
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Recessed light layout

Hi
We live in a split ranch
I am installing recessed light in our 14' X 16' Living Room .

The living room is cantilevered and so not symmetric .... the fire place is not exactly between two walls.

I have installed two gimbals near fireplace to focus on the fireplace and now need to install the other ones. But I am a bit confused about how many lights and where to position those .

I have attached the layout if someone can help. Forgot to include, our TV is in one corner (towards Dining) near Fireplace

One point, if the lights need to move, they should move by 16" due to joists

Name:  44.jpg
Views: 4952
Size:  25.3 KB

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Lighting.pdf (35.8 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by ray2047; 05-26-16 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Add diagram.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-16, 07:03 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You don't say what type of lights you are planning and you don't say what level of lighting you are looking for, so I will make some assumptions.

Ignoring the two lights by the fireplace, and assuming 800 lumens per can (roughly 60watt equivalent) you've got about 22 lumens per square foot. That's reasonable for a living room area for general conversation, etc. Young folks with good eyes could easily read; folks with not so good eyes would want additional lighting for reading or close work.

IIWM, I'd probably move the right column over one joist bay and add another 3 cans down the middle. It's easier to reduce light level with a dimmer than to add.....

You may want to experiment and see if you have a glare problem with the TV if you think the lights will be on when the TV is. Having the lights near the TV on their own dimmer would help with that.

Good luck with your project!

Old 05-26-16, 07:55 PM
K
Thanks much.

I will be using 5" Can, 9W LED (says 65W equivalent but 600 Lumens) and we love more light. We currently have a chandelier with 6 60 watt lights which will go away once the new lights are installed.

I like the idea to install a center row . This will be nice

When you say move right column, do you mean the one towards window?

How will it look aesthetically ?

As for TV, I am planning to install a gimbal in the spot near TV so that we can turn around if there is glare

Old 05-26-16, 08:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 679 Votes on 628 Posts
If you want another opinion....

I also like the idea of a 3rd row, all on dimmers. But I would make the 3rd row dead center in the room, with the other rows equidistant from the walls on the left and right. The only reason I would see to make them off center would be if you had bookcases along one wall or something. Is your ceiling cathedral? The fireplace lighting, imo, is separate from the rest, and can be spaced wherever you like in relation to the fireplace width.

I would, however, draw an imaginary line down the center of the dining room doorway (and out to the wall with the window) and then keep the fireplace lights and the 9 light layout spaced equally to the left and right of that imaginary line since it is a traffic lane of sorts, but more importantly is a line of sight.

Same with the traffic lane that is heading from the bottom left hand side of the page toward the fireplace on the left side of the page... that first row of vertical lights on the left should be centered over that traffic lane... and the third row of vertical lights on the right should match the layout on the left unless there is a valid reason not to.

Your lights also don't have to be exactly 16" on center. Yes you have to work with the joist layout but you may find a better layout if you erase that constraint from your mind. You may find that the center horizontal row of lights will be centered between joists, and the other horizontal rows might be pushed up close to the opposing joists... making them 52" or more from center... not strictly 48". You just have to miss the joists. So they can be anywhere... just not where the joists are. You make it sound like they HAVE to be 16" on center which is preposterous.

Last edited by XSleeper; 05-26-16 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-27-16, 03:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
For a three row run, the equidistant measurement would be 42". As Brant said, it can be fudged to work with joisting. I didn't see any consideration for a dining room light. Will you install a pendant or will you use the existing room lighting? Which way are your joists running?

Old 05-27-16, 05:09 AM
K
Great suggestions !

The ceiling is not cathedral .. just 8 feet high.

Joists are horizontal (parallel to the fireplace) but since it is plaster ceiling , there is a wood frame perpendicular to the joist which forces me to make it 16" (well not exact 16" ) on both directions

Dining has a small chandelier which I do not plan to replace now.

I installed the fireplace lights just as a pilot and it worked out great. Not fun working in the attic but rewarding .

Old 05-27-16, 07:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just some thoughts, the other guys covered it well.

I don't think 3 rows of lights are necessary in a 14 x 16 room, 6 can lights would be enough.
That said, I agree with adding the 3rd row if you desire that effect.
I prefer the can lights to illuminate the outer areas of a room and not so much the center of the room.

The outer area I refer to can vary, maybe the light would be centered above the front edge of a sofa, or in travel lanes as Xsleeper said.

Sleeper went over it very well and you can't go wrong there.

Old 06-02-16, 12:17 PM
K
Thanks for the great answers !

One last question , forgot to ask earlier.

I am removing a 6 bulb chandelier. Since I will now have 9 LED Cans, can these go in that circuit without any change to the circuit ? I guess yes, since the 6 bulbs consume 360 watts while 9 LEDs will consume just about 90 watts. May be I can add 9 more without any problem

Does inspectors raise issues about this ?

Old 06-02-16, 01:23 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You can use the existing light circuit. Any connection must remain accessible.

Old 06-02-16, 02:40 PM
K
Thanks! Yes, all connections are through the unfinished attic and so accessible.

Old 06-02-16, 04:13 PM
So you are going to move the chandler box into the attic and put a blank cover on it?

Old 06-02-16, 07:26 PM
K
Chandelier is going to another location of the house. I will probably install one of the new recessed light right in that location OR cover the hole with a faceplate (or whatever those round plates are called) .

The chandelier is connected from a junction box a few feet away. I will simply disconnect the chandelier connection and connect the wire from recessed light in the same junction box.

The chandelier with all its wire will go away

Old 06-02-16, 08:29 PM
Sounds good, just checking.