question about ceiling fan remote wiring

Old 06-14-16, 03:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
question about ceiling fan remote wiring

I just replaced a ceiling fan with a new model. The old one had no remote and was wired to two wall switches, one for fan, one for light. When I saw the remote transmitter wiring instructions, it seemed apparent that following them would leave me with one wall switch that would have to be on for the fan (and light) to work, and one "dead" wall switch, so I left the remote out and wired to the switches as it had been before.

Of course now the fan only works at high speed (works great though). I've learned from reading these boards that I NEVER want to put a dimmer on a fan motor, so I'm thinking of doing the following: Add in the remote transmitter wired to the fan only, and leaving the light wired to the wall switch, which I would replace with a dimmer (dimmable LED bulbs already installed).

Does that seem like the best solution?

Old 06-14-16, 04:06 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Your solution is good. You would only need the dimmer switch because the remote could be wired always hot if you wanted to do it that way. Note if the fan has only black and white wires (no blue). Separate wiring to the light will have to be run through the fan.

Old 06-15-16, 07:46 AM
Fan does have a blue wire, as did the old one, which is what makes it so easy for me, a non-electrician, to do the swap. The hot wire for the light in my ceiling is conveniently red to distinguish it from the fan power. That fan hot is wired through the wall switch; how would I wire the remote "always hot"?

Old 06-15-16, 09:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,343 Votes on 1,241 Posts
It would appear that your fan uses the external remote.... meaning it gets mounted in the canopy and it's not already installed in the fan.

Connecting the blue wire to a wall dimmer is a good idea.
If you are going to use the remote for just the fan then you'll need to cap the light wire that comes out of the remote.

You said there is a switch for the fan. If you want the fan always live.... remove the two wires from the switch....connect them together and cap them.

Old 06-16-16, 07:10 AM
Connecting the blue wire to a wall dimmer is a good idea.
If you are going to use the remote for just the fan then you'll need to cap the light wire that comes out of the remote.
Thanks for the tip; always a good idea to state the obvious when discussing electrical work with a non-professional!
If you want the fan always live.... remove the two wires from the switch....connect them together and cap them.
...but then I'd have blank where the switch was, like this:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]67378[/ATTACH]
I think I'd rather have a switch, especially if it turns the fan on at the last remote setting.

Attached Images  

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: