Dead Casablanca Fan

Old 06-16-16, 06:15 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Dead Casablanca Fan

Casablanca Fan CB2010T - Wall Sw. W32, Fan board Rmm. I was cleaning the carbon off hot terminal of a light and forgot to turn off the power! Shorted to ground terminal and big spark. Now no lights and no fan. Did shut power off at breaker and still not working. Removed switch W32 and tested black out lead and No power but does have power In.
Is this the way to test this switch?? I could remove switch and test with my ohmmeter. If so will I simply get continuity in lead to outlead??
Thanks - Bob

Old 06-16-16, 06:29 AM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

That's an electronic switch so it can't really be tested with an ohmmeter. You could temporarily take the switch out of the circuit and power the fan/light directly to rule out/in the switch.

It seems the W32 is now obsolete, so if it's fried you will have to convert to their newer version.

Old 06-16-16, 05:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Directly from Casablanca.....
Name:  cb.JPG
Views: 982
Size:  16.1 KB

I doubt the wall control is bad. My guess would be the board.
As C.T. mentioned... the old w-32 Inteli Touch system has been discontinued. You'd need to change the control board and wall remote now.

I have repaired those boards. The repair isn't too hard for a technician but getting to it is a major job.

Casablanca fan repair/do_it_yourself/InteliTouch/ReplaceElectronicsIT.pdf

gciriani voted this post useful.
Old 06-18-16, 07:06 AM
W
Thanks for the two answers. I believe the W85 switch is a replacement for the W32?? The fan M/B was upgraded a few years back now it's a RMM board. Would this be ok with the W85 switch?
Also, testing the switch, wouldn't I get power out on the black lead if the switch were good and none if it's bad?

Thanks again

Old 06-20-16, 08:32 AM
W
Hi,

As info:The "Fan man" site does list instructions to use an ohmmeter to check the W32 switch.

Old 10-26-23, 06:16 PM
G
I've got an old Casablanca fan, with the light circuit board blown up; the light would not turn on, but the fan did work without any problem (all 6 speeds). I took the light circuit board down and there were a couple of visible burns on it and an interrupted connection. I repaired the interruption and resoldered the burned spots on the circuit board; I put it back on the fan, and now the lights stay on the whole time but would not turn off, nor would they dim as it used to. I tried the diagnostics suggested by Fan Man Lighting (found the troubleshooting instructions online), inverting the wires at the 2-wire wall switch, which confirm that the wall switch is okay, and that the light circuit board is the part malfunctioning. I'm looking for a schematic of the circuit board, because it's simple enough, and I should be able to buy the component that needs to be replaced. Can anyone point me to where I could find this schematic?

Old 10-26-23, 08:20 PM
Group Moderator
There were never any schematics posted on line for CasaBlanca fans.
All their technical information is strictly proprietary.

You can post a picture of the front and back of the board and I can offer comments.
How to insert pictures.

Old 10-27-23, 10:13 AM
G
I have attached a couple of photos of the board.

Two burned spots are visible on the insulating material, on the right.

Back of the printed circuit board, showing burned spots in correspondance to the same components. Copper strip in the middle, was also interrupted, just below B of Casablanca.

Rotated view.

Close up to read integrated circuits numbers.

Old 10-27-23, 01:47 PM
Group Moderator
The 6 pin IC is an optoisolator - MOC-3011. Probably ok.
Not sure what the three pin semi is. Could be a triac or some type of mosfet.
The number is private branded. Most assuredly shorted.

That is a Casablanca LDM - LDM1 lighting control board.
It may be easier to buy a refurbed board.
Fix-my-casablanca fan

Old 10-28-23, 01:45 PM
G
I think you are right about the optoisolator, and the triac too. I actually found a schematic resembling some of the values of the other components (see here, fig.7). Most useful the Fix My Casablanca fan link. Definitely the same printed circuit board; thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: