LED blubs, enclosed luminaries, and lamp post lanterns

Old 07-06-16, 01:27 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
LED blubs, enclosed luminaries, and lamp post lanterns

I bought a pack of Feit 100W equivalent LED daylight non-dimmable bulbs. The box has pictures of typical applications, including one labeled "lantern" that shows a typical colonial-style lantern fixture atop a lamp post. In my experience these fixtures are pretty much sealed, with only a few small drain holes at the bottom. But the fine print on the bulbs says not for use in totally enclosed luminaries. Am I missing something here? How is a lantern on a post not an enclosed luminary?

Old 07-06-16, 01:43 PM
C
Received 28 Votes on 23 Posts
The post lamps I've worked on had openings for ventilation in the bottom and a shielded opening at the top to allow hot air to escape. Mostly the openings allow bugs in.

Even without vents, many post lamp lanterns are large enough that an LED would likely be ok.

A small, unvented lantern would be trouble though.

Old 07-06-16, 01:53 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Is there a photocell? If there is and it is not 3-wire the LEDs may not work correctly.

Old 07-07-16, 04:11 AM
Received 594 Votes on 531 Posts
Many LED's will say not for use in totally enclosed luminaries. Not really a problem as it will reduce the life of the bulb slightly. The electronic ballast is temp sensitive and can be affected by not having good ventilation. That's why it's preferable to have an LED bulb pointing up as opposed to the screwed end up. But it's only a minor thing. However, that being said, brand name may make a difference. For instance GE brand can stand being enclosed with only minor life degradation. Their QC is better than off brand names. Feit is considered an off brand but they are becoming more popular. Don't know if their QC is good or bad.

BTW...start using lumens as a brightness designation as opposed to wattage.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: