Proper electrical box for ceiling fan?

Old 08-19-16, 11:29 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Proper electrical box for ceiling fan?

Hi everyone, thank you for all the DIY advice I've gotten from this forum over the years! Finally had to register as I have a question I'm hoping you can help me out with.

Moved into a new rental which unfortunately has no ceiling fans in any of the rooms. I'd like to put one up in each room but after reading about how some electrical boxes are not rated for a ceiling fan, I'm a bit cautious about putting one up. I have put one up in a previous house and I guess I just got lucky with the electrical box because I had no idea they needed to be secured the right way in the attic.

Unfortunately my new place doesn't have any easy attic access, it's more like a crawl space and I don't have a ladder to get up there anyway. I took the existing light fixture off and took a couple of pictures of the box. I just can't tell if it's the right type of box, I see no sticker anywhere on it, and while it feels secure when I gently tug on it, I know that's not a good test. The existing light fixture was one of those 2lb Home Depot plastic-y ones so that's not a good test of it's strength either.

Can someone take a look and determine if anything strikes you as this being a proper box that can support a ceiling fan? Thanks in advance!

Ceiling Fan Box - Album on Imgur

Old 08-19-16, 11:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 112 Votes on 97 Posts
Since this is a rental you need to contact your landlord to have any work done.

Old 08-19-16, 12:08 PM
D
I'm pretty sure the landlord will be fine with the installation as we've talked about it before moving in. He may even help me install them.

However if the boxes aren't rated for the fan, it's a moot point because my landlord probably isn't going to want to redo the boxes in all the rooms. That's why I wanted to get an opinion on the boxes before involving my landlord.

Old 08-19-16, 12:13 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Does not look like a fan rated box to me.

Old 08-19-16, 01:27 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
It has ears and if those fixture screws are 8-32 it isn't fan rated.

Name:  Notfanrated_zps67ab6e7e.jpg
Views: 6151
Size:  21.6 KB

Old 08-19-16, 10:30 PM
D
Thanks guys. After undoing the light fixture again and investigating (along with tugging on it slightly) it certainly does not seem like it's capable of holding up a rotating 20lb ceiling fan.

Since I'm an out of shap old man and have no way of fitting into the crawlspace in the attic let alone replacing a electrical box I think I'll hire someone to do it for me, a general contractor of some sort and have him do all the boxes in my 3 rooms that I want to put fans in. Can anyone recommend a Home Depot link to what I should buy for the guy ahead of time?

Old 08-19-16, 11:26 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You need to hire an electrician. As a retired handy man I never liked the customer to buy the supplies because they usually didn't buy what I wanted.

There is usually no need to go into the attic. You can install from below.

Name:  Ceiling_-Box_install.jpg
Views: 1195
Size:  14.4 KB

Old 08-20-16, 06:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
And depending on the proximity to a joist, alternative boxes can be used as well as the one Ray mentioned.

Name:  fan rated box.jpg
Views: 1064
Size:  26.7 KB

Name:  fan rated box 2.jpg
Views: 1111
Size:  6.3 KB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: