Motion security lights from interior receptacle - no switch?

Old 09-03-16, 11:04 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Motion security lights from interior receptacle - no switch?

There is one side of my house that is very poorly-lit. I want to add some motion lights. The only feasible way I could do it would be off of a receptacle in the bedroom. This would mean that there wouldn't be a switch (other than the motion sensor on the light). Is there any issues with this setup? The rest of the motion lights I have installed have been replacing existing exterior lighting, so I haven't had to deal with this.

Also, generally romex is stapled to the studs, but this isn't really feasible, unless I want to demo a bunch of drywall. Is the requirement to staple romex to the studs mandatory for old work installs?

Old 09-03-16, 11:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Although you don't technically need a switch on the motion detector light...... it does place the sensor into automatic or on. That could be important if you had a power jitter and your sensor was placed in the on position.

With most of these sensors you turn the power off and on twice within five seconds to put the sensor in "on" mode. Then just turn it off for a few seconds and back on to be back in "auto".

You can come out of a receptacle, up to a box and switch and then up to your light.
The NM-b cable does not need to be fastened in a sealed wall.

Old 09-03-16, 12:35 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply. Part of your reply may have addressed another issue I thought I was having with another light.

You said that the sensors automatically go into "on" mode by powering them off and on within 5 seconds. I have another another sensor in my backyard that will occasionally stay on all night. It won't turn off, even if there is no motion, until the next morning when the sun comes up (it has a photovoltaic sensor, too). Although, the interval is longer than 5 seconds....

Old 09-03-16, 12:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
When in "on" mode the photo sensor is still active..... just the motion part is bypassed.

Usually.... once the sensor is put into "on" mode it will stay that way until power is removed and restored.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: