Hunter fan light doesn't work

Old 09-20-16, 05:21 PM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hunter fan light doesn't work

I have a Hunter fan which uses a 27183 dimmer switch. Recently, when I turned the light switch on,there was a flash of blue and then no lights. Circuit breaker did not pop and bulbs are good. When I look at the switch, there are 3 wires, red going to light, blue going to fan, black is hot. Using a non-contact voltage checker, I find that both the black and red wires have voltage through them. The blue fan wire does not (the fan still works). I'm guessing that this means that there is a short in the switch causing my lights not to work... Is this a reasonable assumption or is there more to it than that? Thanks in advance!

Old 09-20-16, 05:48 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Using a non-contact voltage checker,
You are wasting your time. It can not accurately determine if you have voltage. It is prone to false positives.To measure voltage you need a multimeter, preferably analog (or a test light or a solenoid voltage tester).
I'm guessing that this means that there is a short in the switch causing my lights not to work
A short would cause them to work all the time. An open would cause them not to work.
Recently, when I turned the light switch on,there was a flash of blue and then no lights
Check all your connections. Remove and redo any wire nut connections both at the switch and the fan. It is easy to fry the electronics in a switch. If the connections are good try a new switch.

A shortcut would be a test of the switch before testing the connection. To test bypass the switch and connect the light directly to the hot.

Old 09-20-16, 08:07 PM
Z
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm embarrassed that I didn't think of bypassing the switch and going right to the hot as a test... Thank you! What are noncontact testers good for?

Follow up question: I have a digital multimeter. Do I test voltage between the red "light" wire and the unshielded copper ground, or something else? And thank you again!

Old 09-20-16, 09:02 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Do I test voltage between the red "light" wire and the unshielded copper ground, or something else?
Yes if you are checking the switch.
What are noncontact testers good for?
A quick check of an unknown wire or cable. Usually no reaction indicates no voltage. Unfortunately a beep only indicates there may or may not be significant voltage. Voltage induced into the wire from a near by wire can cause the beep.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: