Transformers for landscape lighting

Old 09-25-16, 12:58 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Transformers for landscape lighting

I bought a nice transformer (stainless steel, four 300W taps etc.) about 10 yrs ago, and finally will be getting around to using it :-D. Well, in the interim, LED came along. Now I cannot imagine using the transformer to near its capacity. Are there any rules as to minimum load per tap, or need to balance load on different taps?

Thanks!!
J.

Old 09-25-16, 01:04 PM
B
Landscape lighting planning question

I was plannig on having my transformer in my garage (towards the front of the house). My transformet have plenty of capacity, and 4 taps. I would like to run some wire thru the attic to the back yard. Should I utilize say 2 of the for taps for this, or just run a "trunk wire" to the back, and split it at the back of the house. Of course, I will adhere to load and current calculations.

Thanks!
J.

Old 09-25-16, 01:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
I combined your two threads into one.

Can you post the make and model of the transformer you are using.
It would most likely not be 300 watts a tap.

LED's are not particularly voltage sensitive so there doesn't need to be much circuit balancing done.

You could run a cable from the transformer thru the attic to the back yard. It may need to be NM or UF cable as that low voltage cable is not usually specified for in wall use. You'd probably need #10 depending on the distance and the load.

Old 09-25-16, 01:54 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I was plannig on having my transformer in my garage
Most landscape lighting transformers are not rated for inside use.
I would like to run some wire thru the attic to the back yard.
If run in walls it must be class 2. I doubt most land scape wiring is. Amperage wise you are okay but you need to give thought to possible restrictions on how to wire it.

Old 09-25-16, 04:14 PM
B
Not sure how to post pictures in a reply, but it it does have 4 circuits, each rated for up to 300W. It has 7 Taps, ranging from 12V to 22V

Model: TR 1200-1222

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: