Can i use contrsuction adheasive to mount (hang) a 4' LED Shop light?

Old 10-17-16, 02:54 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can i use contrsuction adheasive to mount (hang) a 4' LED Shop light?

I am about to move in a a new (to me) condo with a flexicore ceiling. I am not sure if I can drill in to the ceiling or not so I am looking for alternate way to hang a 4' LED shop light in a closet.

Ignoring any electrical connections, as I can deal with that part of it, would it be possible to use construction adhesive to mount a 4' LED shop light to the flexicore ceiling? Would it have enough strength to hold up that light? If not any other suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-16, 03:25 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Personally, I would not trust construction adhesive(only) to hold up a shop light.

You should be able to drill small holes in the flexicore without issue using a carbide tipped masonry bit. You could use tapcons or concrete anchors. Some types of precast concrete panels have reinforcing cable inside; if you hit a cable, just move hole location an inch or so. But it's unlikely you will hit steel if you keep the holes shallow.

If you don't want to deal with drilling into the concrete, I'd look at using an LED strip light mounted in a strip light frame. They are light enough that construction adhesive would be fine. Another alternative would be LED puck lights, also small and light. You will have to fashion some sort of brace to hold either style tight against the ceiling while the adhesive sets, typically 24 hours.

Old 10-17-16, 03:29 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
If you aren't married to the shop light you could install a 4' light on the wall over the door frame.

Old 10-17-16, 09:09 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Not sure if I can drill in or not, if I can I will, that is my first choice, but I don't know the rules of the condo board, don't own the place yet.

I am not married to the shop light, just know it is cheap and throws a ton of light.

Once i'm in i'll figure things out, thanks for the input.