Light fixture wiring unmarked

Old 11-01-16, 02:51 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Light fixture wiring unmarked

I am trying to install a light fixture, but upon doing so realized that the wires are not the usual white/black or smooth/ridged; instead they are both clear and identical, with only very small text printed on them. One wire has black text, the other white (hopefully that's visible in this photo)-

Name:  2uzqum1.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  30.3 KB

My question is, does the text color correspond to the usual black/white wire color? I would really like to avoid taking apart the light and seeing which wire is installed in which part of the socket, so am hoping that perhaps someone has experience with this type of wire.

If I were to guess incorrectly and wired the light backwards, how could I tell my mistake?

Old 11-01-16, 03:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
Does not matter which wire goes to white or black, will work either way.

Old 11-01-16, 03:47 PM
W
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
Checking Which One

Use an analog meter to verify the continuity between the end of one wire and the center of the socket.

Old 11-01-16, 04:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
With lamp cord, the identified wire is the neutral. It can be identified with ribbed insulation or print.
If there's doubt, hook the most obviously identified wire up to the wide prong of the plug and visually trace it to the white wire of the fixture.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: