Ceiling fan pull chain came out

Old 11-12-16, 11:01 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling fan pull chain came out

Hi,
I have a ceiling fan with light (model unknown) and the fan pull chain came out. The light still works so assuming I need to replace the fan switch but want to make sure this is correct and appreciate your assistance.
I originally purchased a 2 wire light switch and a 3 speed ceiling fan switch (4 wire switch) as wasnt sure which to get & the price was right!
Our ceiling fan does have 3 speeds so would think that is the correct one to use. I saw a turorial on replacement but I want to make sure what the next step is.
Do i unscrew the 2 screws in lower area or the ones at top as pictured.
Thanks again for your help!

Attached Images     
Old 11-13-16, 03:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
But the chain that broke is from the fan, not the light kit. I would say remove the other screws.

Name:  fan.jpg
Views: 3592
Size:  18.5 KB

Old 11-13-16, 04:39 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Usually each section is installed separately. You can remove the upper screws Tolyn showed but then you'll have the light kit hanging by the wires. If it's too much weight or annoying you can remove the lower two screws and remove the light kit so it's easier to work on the fan switch. Just remember to label or take a picture of the wires. Then after you replace the fan switch you can re-install the light.

Old 11-13-16, 09:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
You will need to get to your switch and match a replacement from what is printed on the switch. There are many switches that look identical but operate differently.

Take a picture of the switch wiring BEFORE disconnecting it.

Old 11-14-16, 02:59 PM
Thanks so much for all your replies. I wasn't able to start this project immediately but plan to do this tomorrow. Will update you on my progress-thx

Old 11-15-16, 02:00 PM
Having problem with stripped screw

Have been trying to get one of the screws out from the upper fan area and havent succeeded yet. So I decided to try option 2, unscrewing the 2 screws at the bottom and getting access to the upper wires. I guess I was hoping after removing the screws that I could just rotate that & be able to access the top!
But do I need to unhook the wires and maybe there's a nut to unscrew or maybe push those wires up?
Thanks!Name:  IMG_1869.jpg
Views: 3234
Size:  40.4 KBName:  IMG_1872.jpg
Views: 3255
Size:  39.6 KB

Old 11-15-16, 03:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Did the chain switch break? I see a piece of chain hanging out. What screw is stripped? Is it the screw head and screwdriver will not turn it?

Old 11-15-16, 05:38 PM
Thx. for your reply. The chain you see is for the light switch, the one for the fan came out & is higher up.
The stripped screw is in the middle of the pic. under the blades. I've tried every screwdriver and anything similar in the house which is a lot-& pliers etc. for several hours & nothing works!

Old 11-15-16, 05:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
That screw is the only way to get to the switch. Even if you take off the light section it will not allow you access to the fan switch.

Remember, righty tighty, lefty loosey.
Make sure you are using the proper sized screwdriver. It really shouldn't be that tight.

Old 11-15-16, 09:51 PM
Well thx. for the righty tighty-lefty loosey reminder but it's just a stripped screw. Maybe someone in the past didn't have the correct sized screwdriver & and now there's no defined place to attach the screw driver to

Old 11-16-16, 03:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Drill the head of the screw off. If you have a dremal tool cut a slot in screw head and use a flat head screwdriver. Usually easier to drill screw head off. Use a bit a little smaller that the screwhead.
Can't tell from picture but you might be able to use pliers on screw. Take one of the screws to hardware store and replace it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: