Outdoor LED Post Light (LED Low Voltage)

Old 11-13-16, 11:45 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outdoor LED Post Light (LED Low Voltage)

I would like to add a low voltage 12 volt LED Post light to my present
Landscape lights which are powered by a 12 volt transformer. I will be well within the wattage of the transformer.

I would like to know if I can use a regular light post fixture which you use for
a 110 volt bulb. Get a 110 volt LED 4 Watt LED which is equal in brightness as a 40 watt 110 volt bulb.

Will it work since the bulb is 110 volt and the transformer is 12 volt. Home Depot said it would but Lowes said it would not.

I personally do not think it will but I wanted to get advise from someone that knows more about electrical low voltage.

If it will not then I can wire it from 110 voltage and still use the Low Voltage LED 4 watt bulb. I would rather not have to run the 110 volt line if I can use it on the low voltage transformer.

Thanks

Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-16, 12:50 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Will it work since the bulb is 110 volt and the transformer is 12 volt. Home Depot said it would but Lowes said it would not.
He is correct.
If it will not then I can wire it from 110 voltage and still use the Low Voltage LED 4 watt bulb.
No. (Your house has 120 volts not 110.) A bulb must match the voltage. If the voltage is to high the bulb explodes. if it is too low it does nothing.

You can use a 12 volt AC Edison base (E-19) LED in a 120 volt type post light wired to a 12 volt landscape transformer.. Note though many such bulbs are made for RVs and marine and are DC only. DC won't work because your landscape transformer is 12v AC. Here's an example that should work: https://www.amazon.com/ChiChinLighti.../dp/B004QZYTCU

I don't know how bright it will be.