Rewire for new lights in basement

Old 11-17-16, 10:16 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rewire for new lights in basement

I have put some wall up in my basement. going to do a suspended ceiling. But need too redo lighting first. Current set up is flourescent lights randomly through the basement. There are 6 switches together at the bottom of the stairs to control different areas. I am taking those at and doing recessed lights. Im not sure if I should take it all down and start from scratch or just try to relocate the switch? After wall where put up some switches now operate lights in 2 different rooms. All lights are hooked up on one ciruit right now. I plan to add 30 can lights(65w) with LED retrofit. Should still run them on one ciciut or split some off of the outlets?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-16, 01:18 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
I like to have my lighting on at least two different circuits in case something happens on one circuit that trips the circuit breaker you are not left in the dark.

I also like to keep receptacle circuits apart from lighting circuits as much as is practicable. Note there is no code provision either prohibiting or encouraging mixed lighting and receptacle circuits, it is just my preference.

I also like light switches near he lights themselves. You may want to consider using three and four way switches so that you can retain the switches at the bottom of the stairs to use when you leave the area. Another option is remote-controlled switches such as Insteon.

Old 11-17-16, 01:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 92 Votes on 79 Posts
If the switch locations are convenient there is no need to move them. Just swing the old cable to the fixture to the new locations.

Old 11-18-16, 12:42 PM
N
All of the oultet are on separate circuits.(5 circuits for the outlets) The current location of the switches is not good. On a corner where framing needs to be done and switches are in the way. I have already installed boxes for the switches in each area. Seems pretty difficult to work with the exsisting wiring.Should i take it all down to the first junction and run to the new switches?

Old 11-19-16, 05:40 AM
Received 78 Votes on 73 Posts
If everything is scattered around as you say it sounds like removing back to the "J" box would be best ,it's hard to tell not seeing what you have.

Old 11-19-16, 06:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Good advice so far. Wow, this must be a super big room to be able to handle 30 can lights Definitely use two circuits as Furd said so you won't be left in a dark dungeon should one circuit go out.

Old 11-19-16, 06:56 AM
G
I would remove the existing switches but temporarily make the existing lights work. Use them for construction lighting. Install all new wiring for new lighting. Remove the old lights before the ceiling tile goes in.