Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing 2-way Switch

Name:  second switch.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  16.8 KBName:  20161129_105755_resized.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  16.7 KB

HELP!
I had to replace a switch for the light fixture in my laundry room. The switch with the red wire is the switch I am attempting to replace. The photo of the other switch with 2 black wires and a white wire is the switch with the original wiring, that I have not changed.
I have tried every combination for the red/black/white wires on the new switch but no matter what I do. Each switch works just fine independently but if either one is in the "off" position, the other one won't work.
Unfortunately, one of the leads broke off of my Multi-Meter so I can't even figure out which one is the common.
My house was built in 1973 and I'm pretty sure the wiring is original to both switches. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 11-29-16, 09:45 AM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Those are 3-way switches, not 2-way/single pole. The white and black wires are your "travelers" and as long as you connect them on the side of the switch with two opposing screws, it doesn't matter which goes where. The red wire is your "point" and needs to go on the side of the switch with one screw (typically black in color).

If the circuit worked at one point in time and all you're doing is swapping switches, then it should work fine as long as you are using the proper switch and putting the wires where they were on the original switch. BTW, each switch working independently but not together is what happens when you have one of the travelers in the wrong location. Try again...black and whites on opposing sides, red by itself (black screw).

Old 11-29-16, 09:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,321 Votes on 1,221 Posts
Those two switches are both next to each other in the same box ?
We need to see the connecting wiring.

It looks like black is hot, white is an incorrectly colored jumper to the other switch and red is the load. That means touching red and black will make that light come on.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: