Adhesive for wires in lamp

Old 12-30-16, 07:34 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adhesive for wires in lamp

Happy holidays all. I am building a lamp. I need to clean up the wires and tuck them out of sight. What is a good adhesive that i could use to glue the wires to metal casing.? Not the metal or copper just the sheathing. I've seen a silicone substance a few times or something similar used but i know certain silicones and glue eat through or can possibly eat through the wires sheathing. Would a wood glue or epoxy of some sort work? I couldnt find alot on the internet except the solder type glue which isnt what i am doing. Thanks all happy new years

Old 12-30-16, 08:39 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Wires are not normally glued. They are simply inserted into lamp and held with a UL knot.

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  7.2 KB Name:  download (1).jpg
Views: 100
Size:  4.7 KB

Going through metal you should also use a grommet.

Name:  5-161 GRP MOB.jpg online cat main pic.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  19.8 KB Name:  CE11173-lrg.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  6.5 KB

Old 12-30-16, 09:50 PM
C
Yeah most of my lamps have those knots or ive tied the knots. And the wires go through the threaded cylinders just like a pendant light or swag type and typically the hooks or hanger hoop things also. They are attached to a candelabra style base which is insulated with the cardboard covers and mine are encased. I do have one gromet which i will be using. And thats wierd cause ive actually bought or owned a few fixtures or lamps that had a silicone or blob holding the wires in one space or held out of the way kind of deal. I know enough that some are def not good to use but surely there must be something people use.

Name:  Screenshot_20161230-224542.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  7.8 KB

Last edited by ray2047; 12-30-16 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Crop image.
Old 12-30-16, 10:09 PM
surely there must be something people use.
I have never seen it done. Why do you need to do it?

Old 12-30-16, 11:46 PM
C
Well its 2 diff bulbs that run off a rotary 4 position turn knob. A 2 circuit lamp i think is also same idea. Typically a night light bulb and the other a brighter bigger bulb. I just didnt want to see the wires so visible. But i also dont want to injure myself or anyone else so safety is always important. I'll do a bit more research and see what comes up.

Old 12-31-16, 08:39 AM
I just didnt want to see the wires so visible.
Post a picturte. I'm not following you.

Old 01-03-17, 12:48 AM
C
Well basically this switch controls and turns on light bulb A the next turn powers on light B the third turn powers both on at same time and finally the last turn of the knob turns them both off. Name:  Screenshot_20170103-013643.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  14.2 KB
So I have the one bulb on bottom which is a E14 candlebra base type. Up inside the very top is another with a colored night light bulb. The main lamp wire I can insert up through bottom or make it a hanging pendant or swag style lamp with wiring feeding through the top or there is a spot in the back. Either one i pick the wires must go up or down etc. So i didnt want them to be visible is all. Name:  youdoodle-2017-01-03T01-35-52Z-460x818.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  34.5 KB
All sides open up and have glass walls so I wanted to tuck them away. Oh and I came across this as well. Its not really what I was looking for but thought it was neat.Name:  Screenshot_20170103-013211.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  30.5 KB

Old 01-03-17, 04:45 AM
T
Received 24 Votes on 23 Posts
Experience has made me a "show me" type of person. Particularly with line voltage and metal parts. The product is conductive, intended to replace solder.

Personally, if venting keeps the metal from getting too warm, I would use in-line crimp connectors, an adhesive cable mount and small cable tie. Clean, clean, clean the surface the mount will adhere to!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]75209[/ATTACH]
To make it absolutely permanent, use the screw mount version with a decorative nut instead of the adhesive version. A little blue thread locker should keep idle fingers from 'dismounting' your work.

But that's just me.

Attached Images  
Old 01-03-17, 06:37 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
It looks to me like you have 2 different objectives here. One is to make good electrical connections and one is to hide the wiring.
The product shown is labeled for use with low voltage only--and I wouldn't even trust it for that. Don't go there. Use solder, crimps, or wire nuts. Keep the wires short & direct, hide all the connections up in the cap of the fixture, then run only one pair down to the larger bulb in the bottom.
Unless you want to get fancy with bending some thin tubing to act as a conduit for that drop, I'd just attach it to a back corner with the suggested adhesive tie-wrap base, or a couple blobs of hot-melt glue. Brush some flat black paint over the wire & attachments and it will virtually disappear in that corner.

The blobs you've seen in the past were likely hot glue and is only meant to "tack" the wires in place.

Old 01-03-17, 04:19 PM
C
Thanks for the replies. I wouldnt use or intend to use the wire glue it was just something I came across and never seen. I do have inline crimp connectors and also heat shrink tubing at my disposal which is definitely what I will be using. The hot glue was basically what I was enquiring about. I read that some silicones and glue has certain chemicals that can eat through wires. I do like the adhesive mounts also which I can utilize or drill small holes for screw mounted ones. I only need a couple dots of hot glue to tack the wires. is there a specific brand or kind I should use? Thanks again.

Old 01-04-17, 06:12 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
In an enclosed fixture with a hot bulb I'd use the highest temperature glue. Look for the sticks that are yellow-ish and stiff. Don't use the low-melt soft clear glue.

Old 01-07-17, 02:36 AM
C
Ya the biggest bulb was just a vintage style led candle looking bulb that doesn't get very hot at all and the top bulb was a low wattage night light style. I got it all done and looks pretty neat. I can take a pic if anyone wants to just see it

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: