What type of light should I put over my kitchen sink? The current old one ...

Old 01-01-17, 10:16 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What type of light should I put over my kitchen sink? The current old one ...

There is a small fluorescent light that's flush and controlled by a switch to the right of the sink under the right cabinet next to the sink window in the kitchen. This "old" fluorescent light (yes, I've changed bulbs) doesn't give off adequate light. What type of light(s) would I be able to install if I removed the old light fixture? What would you recommend?

Should I just keep the same type of light? Maybe something LED would be nice instead of fluorescent.

Thanks

Name:  IMG_0691JPG.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  27.1 KB

Here's the light:
Name:  IMG_0692JPG.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  35.5 KB

Old 01-01-17, 10:20 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
The LED was my first thought also, they make conversion strips that simply replace the bulb with removal of the ballast.

That light is small so a new fixture might be easier.

If there is an electrical box up there that would give you some options for some type of hanging pendent light but it looks like the light is recessed and that would require some trim work.

Old 01-01-17, 10:40 PM
Here's a link to a Juno LED light:
Juno 24 in. White LED Dimmable, Linkable Under Cabinet Light-ULL24-WH - The Home Depot

They are easy to install, put out clean light, and have a built-in dimmer.

My first choice would be to flush out the bottom of the valance and install two 4" can lights.
The cabinet finish would be fairly easy to match.

Old 01-02-17, 05:11 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
I would agree with the 4" cans with LED's,remove the old fixture and replace the ceiling,either with drywall and paint or a piece of the same board,one you remove the old fixture you should have a switchleg there to reswitch the new fixtures.
Have fun!
Geo

Old 01-02-17, 08:59 AM
B
What about converting the fixture to LED? Would they have an LED and flush fixture of the same size?

Old 01-02-17, 10:32 AM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
I had the same problem, wanted more light for my old eyes. Ordered these 6000k lights, pretty bright until you get used to them. Maybe 4000 would be better.

Easy to install, just remove the ballast and run one wire to each end.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

Works for me. I'd think you could get the same thing at a hardware store now days.

Old 01-03-17, 05:28 PM
B
Ok, guys I bought an LED "strip" that has 2 built in LEDS, but haven't hooked it up yet. Now, I'm having second thoughts. I'm thinking two little flush pot lights (if that's what they're called) after I remove that fluorescent fixture. What do you think? They have some pretty black metal grating type sheet at HD that I think I could cut to put around the lights once they're installed next to each other up there. Or maybe some type of black plastic?

Old 01-03-17, 06:18 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
We can't decide for you, but we all agree that LEDs are the way to go. The only other comment I'll add is consider the LED light Temperature or color. Over the sink, you may want a bright white (or daylight or cool white, somewhere in the 4000 to 5000 kelvin range) so you can see while you are working. On the other hand if you want that cozy or warm light then consider the lower temps of the 2000K to 3000 K range. In either case look at the lumins output. That is the amount of light or brightness regardless of the temperature or color. Do no be swayed by wattage. Wattage is what you pay the power company. Lumins is the brightness. The two are not connected.

Old 01-03-17, 06:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
2700K is very close to the light color of an incandescent light. Normally in homes I recommend lights no higher on the Kelvin scale then about 3500K.

If there is any insulation up there the cans you install need to be IC rated.

It really depends on how much you want to change the existing installation. If you put in cans (what you call pot lights) you will have to remove the existing recessed fixture, cut or remove the wood, install the cans, and repair the wood or install drywall.

If you don't want to go that crazy you could retrofit the existing fixture with LED strips or LED modules and a 12 volt driver.

Old 01-03-17, 07:10 PM
B
Ok, guys this is an UTILTech Pro dual led 24inch strip and says 1800 lumens and on the back says about 4000 kelvin I guess. The arrow on the color chart shows a little before 50% on the color scale.

Old 01-04-17, 03:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
4000K will be similar to the florescent lights you are replacing in color if they were cool white.

A single 20 watt 24" T12 lamps will put out around 1200 lumens. I am also wondering what is your plan to install this light? Just surface mount it?

Old 01-04-17, 08:44 PM
B
Thanks, that's what I did and it's very bright now to look at. Almost too bright. I was looking at the enclosure that the old fluorescent were in and I think I may be able to install it in there and then put it all back together so it looks just like the old fixture again with the light bar inside it. I think if I remover the ballast and gravestones it'll work. It's really way too bright if you happen to look up at it and you're right that the light does look fluorescent, but of course now I have adequate lighting above the sink.

What I did is I put a piece of wood across the inside of the hole where the whole fixture came out and I mounted the new light bar to that. That's how it's presently mounted and the light ends up dropping slightly below being flush with the old hole, so you end up seeing the lights and they're very bright to look at. Can they hurt your eyes I am told?

I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Old 01-04-17, 09:09 PM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
I was looking at the enclosure that the old fluorescent were in and I think I may be able to install it in there and then put it all back together so it looks just like the old fixture again with the light bar inside it.
Yeah, and if you had listened to me you wouldn't have to go through all this BS and probably be cheaper.

That said, you'll get used to the brighter light in no time. And if your furnace goes out they will still light up down to -25°F.

Old 01-05-17, 08:35 PM
B
Thanks Baldwin, you're right I should've listened to you! Now, I'm going to order those lights and do the "housing thing" and convert it to an LED fixture and then put it back up there like it was. I like the lighting now, BUT I don't like how the fixture hangs out of the hole and you can stare right at the bright lights without the glass (plastic) fixture cover.

Here's how it came out: The BOTTOM picture is how it used to look and what I want to achieve after the new LEDS are installed back in the old fixture.
Name:  IMG_0694JPG.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  29.5 KB
Name:  IMG_0695JPG.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  32.7 KB
Name:  IMG_0696JPG.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  36.9 KB
Name:  IMG_0692.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  35.5 KB