Finding good information on switches

Old 01-07-17, 08:56 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Finding good information on switches

I have a project I want to try that will be a strip of LED lights along the stairwell. I want to switch them on and off with a beam. Like what causes a door to chime in a store. When the beam breaks, the lights go on. Then either with a timer or another beam break, the lights go off.

I have a few criteria for the beam. I really on have access to one side of the stairs behind teh wall. So I am thinking some sort of laser that reflects. I want to put this inside the wall, so garage door things are out as they are too large.

My question is where can I go to find some good information on stuff like these? Searching has either resulted in garage door or outdoor style beams or beams that are only good for up to 18"

Old 01-07-17, 09:24 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Rather then a beam I would recommend installing a motion activated switch. They come in a great deal of configurations, only need to be installed in one location, have an adjustable time delay, and come in standard voltage or low voltage in special applications. The also can be wall mounted and ceiling mounted.

Since you will be using LED strips you will need a location for the driver. Install the motion switch and the run a cable (120 volt) to another box with a receptacle installed. The receptacle will be switched by the motion switch. Plug in the driver and run 18/2 stat wire to your strip(s) from the low voltage side of the driver.

Old 01-07-17, 11:34 AM
B
How narrow of an area can I make the motion sensor. I don't want someone walking by the stairwell to set it off. That is why I was thinking a beam. That and I don't want the motion sensor to be visible.

Old 01-07-17, 11:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
A beam type sensor will be much more noticeable than any wall mounted motion sensor. You mentioned like the ones in stores, and if you look they are huge!

You could mount the motion sensor on the ceiling, stair, or door header so it doesn't catch people walking by. You can also cover the sensor part off somehow (tape, paint, etc) to prevent unwanted detection.

Old 01-07-17, 03:14 PM
B
I mentioned those as an example of what I am finding but don't want. Ideally I would like a laser pointer size. I could mount that in such a way that it probably wouldn't be noticed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: