Keeping receptacle hot always

Old 01-20-17, 11:00 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Keeping receptacle hot always

This junction box contains main power coming in. A set of black and white going to switch, another plain light 6 feet away, a receptacle set and the light that covers this box (not shown) I cleaned up all bad knicked wires and old cracked wire nuts. Can someone just give a quick rundown on how to keep the receptacle hot always. the switch loop that exists can just control the 2 single light bulbs. Thanks all in advance as always! The picture is turned sideways but still details are accurate
Name:  20170120_115519.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  27.6 KB

Old 01-20-17, 12:03 PM
C
Received 29 Votes on 24 Posts
The black from the receptacle goes the black incoming power. The white from the receptacle goes to the white incoming power. Done.

Note that if the receptacle had previously been wired so half of it was switched and half was always on, then you will need to pigtail both halves of the receptacle to make up for the shorting tab that was removed to make half switched. Or replace the receptacle with a new one with intact shorting tabs.

Old 01-20-17, 12:22 PM
C
I'm with you so far and yes I just replaced the receptacle anyway as the old one was circa 1976. Now the lights are just simple Daisy chained and turn on at same time. The existing switch for them was not 3 wire and since it was pre-existing I will just do use the black and white that's there. Just to confirm where do they connect to. Thanks

Old 01-20-17, 02:34 PM
C
I got it all done and works perfectly thanks again

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: