Bathroom with no exhaust fan - need ideas

Old 01-20-17, 04:26 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom with no exhaust fan - need ideas

My mom is selling her home and one of her bathrooms is really small and never had an exhaust fan. All it does have is a opening on the ceiling to the outside of the roof (sunroof???) that you can open and close.

I'd like to install a exhaust fan there but not sure how I would do that without hiring a roofer to replace the sunroof.

Anyone have an idea what other products I can use? Are there fans that I can turn on that will have the smoke from the shower attract towards it?

Also - wiring is going to be a PIA in there. I dont know how I would put a wire there hidden. Are there products that are powered by battery or motion or other type of detection without hooking it up to a wire and power Switch?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-17, 07:20 PM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
Is this a RV or mobil home? Send a pic so we can get a better idea of what you have.

Old 01-20-17, 08:27 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Old 01-21-17, 06:09 AM
A
Received 79 Votes on 73 Posts
The sunroof that can be opened counted as a window. Warm air including the moist air just after your shower naturally rises and will go out that way when the sunroof is open.

You will need to leave the door open to provide makeup air so the warmer air will continue to exit via the sunroof.

Some cities nowadays require a bathroom fan even if there is a window in the bathroom but you are probably grandfathered.

Old 01-21-17, 07:10 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
its a regular home.

She opened the window in summer but it's too cold in wintertime.

I agree about the wiring , it's too risky.

Are there other products out there that are maybe battery operated or have another power source other than wiring it to the switch?

Old 01-21-17, 09:17 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Are there other products out there that are maybe battery operated or have another power source other than wiring it to the switch?
Not really. You can use surface raceway such as Wiremold for running the wiring.

The picture below shows a ceiling fan but would work the same for a vent fan.

Name:  v500v700jpg.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  21.2 KB