Electrical noob need help re-routing ceiling lights to different switches.

Old 02-22-17, 04:14 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Electrical noob need help re-routing ceiling lights to different switches.

So, here's my problem. (Please excuse my lack of proper terminology, I'm new at this) I just upgraded my three flush mount light fixtures, to two new light fixtures and a lighted ceiling fan. Currently all three are powered by one of a set of light switches. The second switch controls the power on an electrical outlet. My goal is to have one switch control the two lights and the other one control the ceiling fan, leaving the outlet disattached from the switch and always powered. When I pulled the old fixtures off, the outer lights were wired normally, with three wires (Black, white and copper ground) the center light, which is now the ceiling fan, had three sets of each wire, each corresponding set twisted and capped then connected to the proper wire on the fixture. I haven't the slightest idea how to disconnect the one light switch from the outlet it powers, so I can use it to instead control the fan, while still controlling the outer two lights with the switch they are currently attached to. Please help. I'm just a girl who doesn't want to burn her house down, who also wants to sleep in the dark with a ceiling fan on.

Old 02-22-17, 04:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
From what I am reading you would have to run a new wire (cable) to switch. Pictures of wires in boxes would help.

Old 02-22-17, 08:28 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I haven't the slightest idea how to disconnect the one light switch from the outlet it powers, so I can use it to instead control the fan
We need to know the wiring at the switch and the receptacle. (Do not include grounds in your description).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: