Installing new ceiling fan - two sets of wires

Old 02-26-17, 01:06 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing new ceiling fan - two sets of wires

Hi everyone, new poster here.

Perhaps I’m overcomplicating my situation here, but I was hoping to get some clarification and/or advise regarding a new ceiling fan I’m looking to install in my bedroom.

After removing the previous ceiling fan in the bedroom (and of course not making any notes on how the wires were connected to the old fan) I have two sets of wires exposed in the ceiling box, both sets consisting of one black, one white, and one grounding wire. Both sets of wires are connected to same circuit breaker.
  • There is only one light switch to control the fan/light in the bedroom.
  • The old fan had the ability to have the fan motor operate with the light switch off.
  • I no longer have the old fan to confirm what wires were included with it.

My new fan/light has a black and blue wire (both which lead into a receiver for remote control operation, as per installation instructions) and a white wire. A black and white wire from the receiver (plus the white wire from the fan) are the only wires to connect with wires from the ceiling box.

Temporary lampholder is connected to labelled wires A and B, and turns on and off with the light switch, anddoes the same when connected to labelled wires C and D.

So my question (finally) is does it matter whether I connect my new ceiling fan (black and white) wires to A and B, or C and D, or is there another configuration I should be considering? Additionally, if you wanted to help me understand why I may have the two sets of wires in my ceiling box, that would also be appreciated!

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Information regarding dwelling:
Late 1970s construction; townhouse; Calgary, Alberta

Ceiling box and wires.
Name:  File_000 - Copy.jpg
Views: 3041
Size:  27.6 KB

Fan motor, receiver, and wires.
Name:  File_001.jpg
Views: 2163
Size:  50.9 KB

Light switch.
Name:  File_003.jpg
Views: 1915
Size:  21.4 KB

Old 02-26-17, 01:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,599 Votes on 1,473 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You have a switch loop there. This diagram illustrates it.
I put your letters on my diagram.

Name:  switchloop.jpg
Views: 1986
Size:  14.1 KB

Technically your new remote controls the light and fan so that you no longer need the wall switch.

If you connect the white and black from the receiver to A and B.... the switch must be on for fan and light to work.

You can put the fan on the remote and the light on the switch. If the light was on the switch it would not dim.

Old 02-26-17, 01:55 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The ceiling box needs to be replaced. It is not fan rated.

Old 02-26-17, 02:01 PM
S
Hi Pete,

Thank you for the reply and image, very helpful! I apolgize if this is frequent question on these forums, I just haven't been able to find an answer that resolved my situation.

@ray2047: I do plan to replace the box as well.

Sam

Old 02-26-17, 04:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,599 Votes on 1,473 Posts
No problem..... we're here to help. Are you all set now ?

Old 02-26-17, 04:37 PM
S
I believe so, though I don't have time to install until tomorrow or Tuesday. If I come across any problems, I'm sure I'll be back here posting!
Thank you again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: