Outdoor post light

Old 03-21-17, 09:32 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outdoor post light

HI
I have two brick gate pillars with lights mounted on top (mounted to metal post running up through pillar).
I am wanting to replace the brick pillars and thinking of using some 4 foot tall basalt boulders that have been cored through (for water features).
I am certain the core hole is too small to fit over the current sized posts. I was thinking of running metal or plastic conduit through the cored hole with the electrical wire protected inside and then use a column light that would mount flush to the boulder or to pipe to make a connection...
I was thinking I would pour a concrete footing with a piece of metal post, cut flush to the footing,. The lectrical cable would be coiled in this portion of the post to protect it while the coulmns is put in place. The coulmn would be put in place, the wire fished through and then a metal or plastic conduit dropped down over the wire.
I may not be explaining this well just wondering if this would be compliant and how best to mout light on top. The conduit would be too small to mount a light to, however I could try to flush mount light to column on top or place larger diameter metal pipe around conduit at the top??????
Thanks greatly to those experienced and willing to offer advice.
Daniel

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-17, 10:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You wouldn't necessarily need to use a pipe thru the rock. You could use UF cable.
The problem part is you need to determine what lights you want to use and then what they require for mounting.

I'm picturing a weatherproof junction box epoxied or fastened with masonry fasteners to the top of the rock. The UF cable would come in the bottom of the box.

Old 03-21-17, 03:36 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi PJ
That sounds like a good idea I was thinking of using a light that would have a built in box for connecting the wires and then using a rubber gasket or running a bead of silicone caulking around it. Yes, will need to ensure the mounting allows it to be bolted to the rock. I have never had good luck with lag bolts for rock or concrete I have had good luck with the concrete Tapcon screws in concrete but they don't work well in stone. However, maybe I need a better hammer drill and new bit as I think what happens is the hole ends up being drilled larger than the bolt with the drill and bit I am using
I think I can get by without concrete footing will tamp do own crusher rock and then have boulder placed. The boulders are about 500ls and the soil well settled. I will look for lists that might fit that way. Thanks or the ideas.