Ceiling Fan Install Help

Old 03-25-17, 08:38 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Fan Install Help

A ceiling fan has been frequently needing to have the light bulbs replaced, every two or three months. Thinking the unit was going south I bought a new one and am in the process of removing and replacing. Not being the most accomplished do-it-yourselfer, I figured I'd ask a few questions here first.
After removing the old fan the attached two photos are what's left: two wires, one black and one white, and a short bare copper wire. Shouldn't there be a ground wire, or is it behind that plate?

Attached Images   
Old 03-25-17, 09:33 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The box is not fan rated and needs to be replaced. The short bare copper wire is the ground. If the new box is metal the ground wire needs to be pigtailed to both the metal box and the fan.

Old 03-25-17, 09:57 AM
C
Thanks, Ray. So the previous install of the fan wasn't done correctly. Wrong box, and the ground wire from the fan was never connected. Could that be the reason the bulbs kept blowing out after two months?
I'm off to buy the correct box. Anything in particular I should be looking for? Here's what I'm looking at now after removing the old box:

Attached Images  
Old 03-25-17, 11:36 AM
The below linked box will work. It has 10-24 threaded posts rather than just the 8-32 bent tabs and are much stronger.

6 cu. in. New Construction or Remodel Ceiling Fan Saf-T-Pan-0103608 - The Home Depot

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: