Exploding lightbulb

Old 04-14-17, 02:18 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exploding lightbulb

Hi,
I have a vintage French table lamp bought at a street market.
It's worked no problem for several months - suddenly the bulb started flickering - when my wife tried to tighten it there was a loud bang and flash and the whole glass bit of the bulb flew off!
We love this lamp and would really love to know why this has happened - as far as we know there was no power surge - are there other reasons why a bulb could act this way?
All thoughts most appreciated.
Brendan

Old 04-14-17, 02:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! You say it is "vintage", so how "vintage" was the bulb? They only have a certain lifespan and cheaper, older bulbs are made of thinner glass. Cold hands, hot bulb.......well the rapid change in temperature at a critical place on the bulb could have caused the bulb's glass to break. Unplug it, remove the stub of the bulb and replace it with an LED bulb. I don't think it is the lamp, but the bulb.

Old 04-14-17, 03:06 PM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
If this incident resulted in a tripped breaker, there was a short in the power cord going to the lamp socket. Repair it before trying a new bulb.

Old 04-14-17, 04:13 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Or being UK if the receptacle or plug fuse blew. It was a 230 volt bulb wasn't it?

Old 04-14-17, 05:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
The change in temperature to the glass could have caused the glass to shatter. Was your wife's hands wet?

Old 04-14-17, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
I have has experience with older incandescent bulbs where the metal screw portion becomes detached from the bulb.
When you turn the bulb, especially if the threads are jammed, the bulb rotates, the threaded portion stays put and the wires short out to each other.
This could easily cause the symptoms you experienced.

Was the threaded portion still in the lamp holder?

Last edited by ray2047; 04-14-17 at 09:16 PM. Reason: landholder > lamp holder
Old 04-17-17, 09:59 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks!

Firstly - sorry to have taken so long in replying - there were reasons but way too boring ones to record here.
Secondly, this is a GREAT forum - so quick and informative - thanks to everyone.
Now (1) the fuse wasn't tripped , Beelzebob,so have discounted faulty on-board wiring (2) screww bit was still in lamp so GredH you could well be right.
So, have decided it was a faulty bulb but will follow Chandler's advice and replace with an LED bulb.
Then I'll turn it on and stand well back!
Many thinks to all.
Brendan

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: