Recessed light fixture. Totally stuck, want to be safe.

Old 07-01-17, 10:39 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Recessed light fixture. Totally stuck, want to be safe.

Hey everyone, I'm glad I found this place!

Quick background, I live with my parents and my dad unfortunately has cancer. Since this, I've been trying to do most of the house maintenance. I totally fear gas and electric, but have very recently decided to try electric. My main concern is always being up to code and of course above all else is safety. I successfully replaced an old broken porch recessed lighting fixture with a new one, like this: Halo 6 in. Aluminum Recessed Lighting Remodel Shallow IC Air-Tite Housing-H27RICAT - The Home Depot

That went pretty well because I was able to use the wires from the existing box and just transfer the cables/wires to the new box that is attached to the new light fixture.

I have one more old fixture that I want to replace. I went to replace it and boy did I hit some barriers. First, there is almost no room to move around. Second, the existing box is riveted in and cannot be moved. (no access) Third, the connection isn't an armored cable like the previous one I fixed, but the wires come from a metal pipe. I don't see how I could attach this to the new box attached to the fixture since I would never get the angle right to do it or have room as well as if I did get it attached there would be no movement from the pipe when fitting the fixture back in. Here is a picture:

Name:  iT64BNK.png
Views: 158
Size:  353.4 KB

So my only ideas are

1) Is there some type of fitting that attaches to the pipe and then to an armored cable?
2) Use tin snips and completely destroy the existing box. (if even possible)
3) Somehow find a recessed lighting fixture that doesn't come with a box on it, but instead has a long armored cable that I could attach to the existing box.
4) Leave existing box as is, but attach armored cable from existing box to new box on recessed lighting fixture. I actually did this and the light worked, but I can't help feeling that this isn't the right or safe way to do it. I also wonder if I need a better fitting from the armored wire to the box on the fixture (if this is even legal/safe that is)

WHEW, I just realized this is incredibly long. I apologize for that and thank you for any help. Thanks!

Last edited by ray2047; 07-02-17 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Insert image.
Old 07-02-17, 12:40 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Are you in Chicago? If so that could change how we answer. Please post a picture of the whole box. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...rt-images.html

Old 07-02-17, 12:40 AM
F
Also, without a doubt the easiest solution would be what I last described. Is it safe to have an "extra" junction box. As in, pipe with cable to junction box. Wires spliced then sent out of box in armor cable to the junction box on the new light fixture. Then pliced within that junction box. If this is totally safe and up to code that would be awesome because it worked and I'll just go grab some better connections to make everything tight and secure. I'm hoping this is okay and my mind can be put at ease. Thanks!

Old 07-02-17, 12:42 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Is it safe to have an "extra" junction box. As in, pipe with cable to junction box. Wires spliced then sent out of box in armor cable to the junction box on the new light fixture.
Yes so long as the first box remains accessible.

Old 07-02-17, 12:43 AM
F
Hi Ray, I am not in Chicago, but am in the cook county suburbs outside of Chicago. I will definitely post more pictures tomorrow. In my haste I didn't think to take better pictures, I apologize. Thanks for the response!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: