Mounting ceiling fan bracket to box

Old 07-04-17, 06:18 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mounting ceiling fan bracket to box

The title says it all - I just bought a new ceiling fan and want to install it. But the electrical box on the ceiling (for some reason I can't upload a picture) doesnt look like anything I've seen on youtube. First of all, its diameter is smaller than the ceiling fan bracket's screw holes, and second, theres a black plastic thing within the box with two round knockout pieces, and two screws imbedded in it.

I should also mention this is a brand new house and so I assumed that its already set up for a ceiling fan (this in the bedroom) but I'm baffled by the electrical box.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Larry

Old 07-04-17, 06:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Can be difficult to load pics from a smart phone. From laptop is easy.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/electrical-ac-dc/534445-how-insert-pictures.html

Sometimes the fan bracket mounting screws are held captive inside the box when it's installed and need to be removed for use.

Name:  fb2.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  6.9 KB

Old 07-04-17, 10:21 PM
E
Tried again to upload the picture (its a JPEG from a digital camera); got a message that says :SAM_0500.JPG: Upload of file failed."

Old 07-05-17, 12:43 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Did you adjust the size to 600 px or less?

Old 07-08-17, 08:46 AM
E
I'm just writing to close the loop on this. I removed the two plastic knockout plugs and one of them showed wood under the plug. I think the intent of the plugs, once removed, is to show the direction of the underlying ceiling joist; it either runs beneath both plugs, or under one. Using that info i was able to drill into the joist and hang the ceiling fan bracket.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: